The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:19:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Joseph Holbrooke from CPO

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joseph Holbrooke from CPO  (Read 11553 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2017, 01:47:43 pm »

Although it would not be unfair to describe me as being "obsessed" by the symphony as a musical form I am not particularly interested in any possible resurrection of Holbrooke's works for brass band and I would guess that works which require a chorus or soloists and chorus would be too expensive to record in the present climate. We have identified in the past one or two other orchestral works which might be more realistic prospects.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 04:23:17 pm »

That doesn't mean that other people might not want to hear them! I'm not a big fan of brass band music,but Holbrooke use of the brass section of the orchestra is one of the things that have always attracted me to his music. I have read,here I think (I need to go back through the posts) that the Fifth Symphony is more like a suite;but that doesn't mean it isn't necessarily worth listening to. I can think of some,so,called symphonies that are actually more like suites,but they are still very enjoyable. Of course,there are examples of symphonies,that are definitely symphonies,but are merely long winded and outstay their welcome.
I have to say my favourite music for brass band;and the examples I go back to more than any,are those suites by Holst. I'd be surprised if even Dundonnell doesn't enjoy them?!!

By the way,Gareth Vaughan will be pleased to know that I have just spent three days listening to every Holbrooke cd,off-air broadcast of a major Holbrooke work and cd with Holbrooke on it,in my collection. I thought even I would throw in the towel at some point;but to my astonishment I enjoyed every one of them!!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2017, 07:56:12 pm »

She is his daughter in law - Gwydion Brooke's widow.

I think that's what I meant ...  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 12:12:49 am »

That doesn't mean that other people might not want to hear them! I'm not a big fan of brass band music,but Holbrooke use of the brass section of the orchestra is one of the things that have always attracted me to his music. I have read,here I think (I need to go back through the posts) that the Fifth Symphony is more like a suite;but that doesn't mean it isn't necessarily worth listening to. I can think of some,so,called symphonies that are actually more like suites,but they are still very enjoyable. Of course,there are examples of symphonies,that are definitely symphonies,but are merely long winded and outstay their welcome.
I have to say my favourite music for brass band;and the examples I go back to more than any,are those suites by Holst. I'd be surprised if even Dundonnell doesn't enjoy them?!!

By the way,Gareth Vaughan will be pleased to know that I have just spent three days listening to every Holbrooke cd,off-air broadcast of a major Holbrooke work and cd with Holbrooke on it,in my collection. I thought even I would throw in the towel at some point;but to my astonishment I enjoyed every one of them!!

Of course it doesn't mean that others cannot enjoy these Holbrooke brass band symphonies! I was only-as ever-expressing a personal preference. I did not intend any criticism or disparagement of other folk's taste. Nor did I intend any offence to you and I apologise if you felt I was trying to do so!!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 04:34:58 pm »

I'm 100% sure that offence was neither meant nor taken. Holbrooke is not everybody's cup of tea, but he's certainly mine partly because of my fascination with his personality and the maverick nature of his inspirational sources. At his best, in works like Ulalume, The Raven and The Bells, he achieves a distinct and remarkably painterly musicality...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 06:52:07 pm »

I'm 100% sure that offence was neither meant nor taken. Holbrooke is not everybody's cup of tea, but he's certainly mine partly because of my fascination with his personality and the maverick nature of his inspirational sources. At his best, in works like Ulalume, The Raven and The Bells, he achieves a distinct and remarkably painterly musicality...

:)

I agree with all of Albion's reasons for liking Holbrooke. In my case,his connections with Wales,and the fact that I've always been fascinated by Welsh legends,folklore and mythology. I've also read The Mabinogion (Haven't we all?!! ;D) the collection of medieval Welsh manuscripts from which Lord Howard de Walden derived his long poem,and the libretto's for Holbrooke's The Cauldron of Annwn cycle. I've liked his music ever since I heard that Symposium cd of recordings of Holbrooke's music made in the thirties,and the Marco Polo cd's of his orchestral works that followed. I also still have the very nice letter I received from Holbrooke's son,Gwydion Brooke,and the Lp of Holbrooke's Chamber music (his own label) he sent to me,in response to my letter enthusing about his father's music.
Indeed! No offence was taken. I am sorry if my reponse to Dundonnell's post sounded a bit tetchy. The problem is,we Holbrooke 'groupies' need to hear just about every single thing he composed (okay,maybe not everything?!! ;D). I do like his use of the brass,though,and I can't help wondering what his brand band pieces sound like. Whether his Fifth Symphony is actually worth recording is another matter,of course! Just curious!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 09:52:23 pm »

I am delighted  We are in no disagreement
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2018, 06:03:54 pm »

I have just finished writing (and have submitted) the booklet notes to cpo's 3rd CD of orchestral works by Holbrooke, so maybe it will be released early next year.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2018, 06:19:48 pm »

I have just finished writing (and have submitted) the booklet notes to cpo's 3rd CD of orchestral works by Holbrooke, so maybe it will be released early next year.
Thank you for this update,Gareth! And thank you for all the work you do in championing this composer. I hope it will be released in the New Year. I'm a bit of a fan of Holbrooke,and I happen to think that,if I had to choose one,the last Cpo cd of his music,was the best ever,in terms of the selection of music and performances (indeed,everything about it!). A pity that this will be the last volume from Cpo,though. Both cd's,so far,are just superb,in every respect. Is there any hope,I wonder,that some other conductor will take over from Howard Griffiths and continue Cpo's exploration of his music?

In the meantime,Holbrooke fans have got something to look forward to!! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2018, 07:11:05 pm »

Not necessarily the last one.  I still hope they can be persuaded to do more. We will see. Keep your fingers crossed.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 10:15:59 pm »

Which compositions are recorded for this 3rd cpo CD?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 11:15:26 pm »

Which compositions are recorded for this 3rd cpo CD?

"It will contain: Symphony No. 3 "Ships"; Orchestral Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me" and the tone poem "The Birds of Rhiannon". The orchestra is the Deutsche Radiophilharmonie Saarbrücken/Kaiserlautern under Howard Griffiths" (from the first post on this thread :))

Given that CPO has given in the past as a reason for delays in issuing recordings made for them the non-delivery of the cd booklet notes it is good to know that this will not apply now :)
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2018, 12:54:56 am »

Yes. The really first class guy who wrote the booklet notes for the last 2 Holbrooke disks simply had too much other work and so, in order not to delay the release further, he asked me to write them. It was a pleasure and privilege to do so.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2018, 01:28:27 am »

.....and absolutely first-class, detailed and exceptionally informative notes they were - as I am sure yours will be too, Gareth!
Report Spam   Logged
guest140
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2018, 05:50:24 am »

I have here ready for publication the score for "1914, for brass band" (what later became "Clive of India")...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: