The Art-Music Forum
June 24, 2019, 10:46:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Joseph Holbrooke from CPO

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joseph Holbrooke from CPO  (Read 3270 times)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2019, 01:13:42 pm »

Yes,it is excellent! I don't know why I used the 'grin' Grin emoticon? I think it was because some Wikipedia articles aren't?! Of course,years go I would have had to go to the library and look all these things up. Incidentally,I never saw the Groves entry for Holbrooke. I'm not sure if they publish the books anymore? Did they say much about Holbrooke,I wonder? I think my first encounter with his name was in a book of stories from the operas? It included some (or all of) Holbrooke's Cauldron of Annwn cycle and The Enchanter! Also the stories of some other British operas by Boughton and Smyth (which are currently being revived) Holst's The Perfect Fool (for which a cd release is way,overdue,imo) and some potted biographies,or details,about the composers at the end. I remember wishing I could hear some of the operas!

Incidentally,I went back to the library (a couple of months ago) when my pc broke down! I was expecting to see the old counter there,and helpful librarians. Alas! The librarians had been (largely) replaced by self service machines. The nice,cosy niches,I used to sit in,with my book,by the window,had been replaced by pc's. The librarians all seemed to be talking to each other in very loud voices,as did most of the other users (apparently,a quiet library puts people off!). And apart from the noise of a kids computer game,in the background;my nostrils were constantly assailed by the smell of a meat pie (with onions,I think?! Shocked Grin) which someone was eating!! Now,I know I'm an old duffer,and it's progress (and the meat pie did smell tasty!) but I'm afraid that,unless my internet connection goes down again,this old duffer will be doing his research from home!! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: