The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:21:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Joseph Holbrooke from CPO

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joseph Holbrooke from CPO  (Read 11650 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 06:52:07 pm »

I'm 100% sure that offence was neither meant nor taken. Holbrooke is not everybody's cup of tea, but he's certainly mine partly because of my fascination with his personality and the maverick nature of his inspirational sources. At his best, in works like Ulalume, The Raven and The Bells, he achieves a distinct and remarkably painterly musicality...

:)

I agree with all of Albion's reasons for liking Holbrooke. In my case,his connections with Wales,and the fact that I've always been fascinated by Welsh legends,folklore and mythology. I've also read The Mabinogion (Haven't we all?!! ;D) the collection of medieval Welsh manuscripts from which Lord Howard de Walden derived his long poem,and the libretto's for Holbrooke's The Cauldron of Annwn cycle. I've liked his music ever since I heard that Symposium cd of recordings of Holbrooke's music made in the thirties,and the Marco Polo cd's of his orchestral works that followed. I also still have the very nice letter I received from Holbrooke's son,Gwydion Brooke,and the Lp of Holbrooke's Chamber music (his own label) he sent to me,in response to my letter enthusing about his father's music.
Indeed! No offence was taken. I am sorry if my reponse to Dundonnell's post sounded a bit tetchy. The problem is,we Holbrooke 'groupies' need to hear just about every single thing he composed (okay,maybe not everything?!! ;D). I do like his use of the brass,though,and I can't help wondering what his brand band pieces sound like. Whether his Fifth Symphony is actually worth recording is another matter,of course! Just curious!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: