The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:34:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Joseph Holbrooke from CPO

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joseph Holbrooke from CPO  (Read 11651 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2016, 04:22:19 pm »

I have just been informed that CPO have planned a third CD of music by Joseph Holbrooke. It will contain: Symphony No. 3 "Ships"; Orchestral Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me" and the tone poem "The Birds of Rhiannon". The orchestra is the Deutsche Radiophilharmonie Saarbrücken/Kaiserlautern under Howard Griffiths and the recording sessions are scheduled for the end of January 2016. This will be a very important CD.
Unfortunately, there is still no definite news about the release date of CPO's second Holbrooke CD (recorded nearly 2 years ago), which contains the "Grasshopper" Violin Concerto, the Orchestral Variations on "Auld Lang Syne" and the tone poem "The Raven", except that it should be sometime next year (2016). Let us hope so. The orchestra was the Brandenburgishes Staatsorchester under Howard Griffiths and the soloist in the concerto was Judith Ingolfsson. I certainly hope it will not long be delayed.
"Ships" is going to.......has been recorded?!! How did I miss this post?!! ??? I must have been in a long sleep and just woken up! My understanding was that Howard Griffiths had decided he didn't want to record it. One intriguing reason,I read somewhere (as a regular contributor to the HB thread at the GMG) being that it sounded like Havergal Brian!!! (One good reason to record it!! ;D) Well,I hope it's true that it's going to be recorded now. The sound quality should certainly be a step up from the excerpt on the fascinating Symposium compilation! And we'll get to hear a bit more!!! I will be looking forward to these cds because I actually do like quite allot of his music. Yes,some of it is uneven in terms of inspiration;but at best I do rather like his rather gothic (in the Edgar Allan Poe,Mysteries of Udolpho sense) later romantic muse. I really do. Rutland Boughton is another one. I really enjoyed The Queen of Cornwall the last time I listened to it;although it took a little perseverance. I actually like it better than the Immortal Hour now;and Bethlehem is a lovely work imho. Anyway,I digress...........
Good news! :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: