The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:28:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Erland von Koch - Symponies 3 and 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Erland von Koch - Symponies 3 and 4  (Read 788 times)
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:27:11 pm »

Now something I wouldn't have expected from bis:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/sinfonien/hnum/8481101
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 01:16:47 pm »

Erland von Koch – Symphonies Nos 3 and 4
BIS-2169 | CD       EAN 7318590021699      TT: 62'48

Erland von Koch (1910–2009): Symphony No.3, Op.38; Sinfonia seria (Symphony No.4), Op.51; Impulsi (1964); Nordiskt capriccio, Op.26

Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra / Per Hammarström

Symphony No.3 and Sinfonia seria are World Première Recordings

Along with Lars-Erik Larsson and Dag Wirén, Erland von Koch was part of a generation of composers who all made their débuts during the 1930s. Active until the end of a very long life (1910–2009), von Koch became one of Sweden’s best loved composers, himself describing his artistic goals as follows: ‘I aim for a simple, clear, melodic style, often with elements of folk tone and with a definite rhythmic profile... The older you get, the more aware you become of the importance of melody.’ One of von Koch’s most frequently performed orchestral works is Nordiskt capriccio, which was inspired by a folk tune from Dalecarlia, and which forms the festive finale on the present disc. The compositions which precede it here are less well known, however – Impulsi (the first part of a triptych later completed with the works Echi and Ritmi) was taken up by conductors such as Sergiu Comis­siona and Walter Weller, but the two symphonies appear for the first time on disc. Especially in Symphony No.3, influences from Bartók and Hindemith can be detected – composed in 1948, it is a work which in its thematic material contrasts defiance with lyricism and, finally, a feeling of release. Sinfonia seria, von Koch’s fourth work in the genre, followed a few years later, undergoing a final revision in 1962. As indicated by the title, the underlying mood of the work is grave and bittersweet – possibly this is reflected in the composer’s own words regarding the thankless task of writing symphonies: ‘They are rarely played – especially if they are Swedish – and it takes a long time before they are “discovered” and accepted, if indeed they ever are.’ With this disc, the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra and conductor Per Hammarström are making their case for a hoped-for, and long overdue ‘discovery’ of Erland von Koch’s symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 03:06:56 pm »

Very welcome indeed :)
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 04:27:50 pm »

I still believe in miracles!  Incredibly expensive to ship from Germany!   14 Euros!  Guess I will have to wait.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:06:54 am »

I still believe in miracles!  Incredibly expensive to ship from Germany!   14 Euros!  Guess I will have to wait.

However IMHO this is a great adiction to sweden cd discography
Best Wishes
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 04:46:02 pm »

Bis recorded all the symphonies of Hugo Alfven twenty years ago. In its very early days the company also recorded the symphonies of Lars-Erik Larsson and Karl-Birger Blomdahl.
More recently there was a complete cycle of the symphonies of Gosta Nystroem. But apart from those there were only single discs of Kurt Atterberg and Hilding Rosenberg and two discs of John Fernstrom.

The company is presently engaged in an Alan Pettersson cycle.....and now we have this Erland von Koch disc. Swedish composers have fared better from CPO (Wilhelm Petersen-Berger, Ture Rangstrom, Kurt Atterberg, Dag Wiren, Alan Pettersson and, currently, Lars-Erik Larsson).

I hope that rather than a single von Koch disc Bis will follow this one up with another featuring the 5th and 6th symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:52:09 am »

Bis recorded all the symphonies of Hugo Alfven twenty years ago. In its very early days the company also recorded the symphonies of Lars-Erik Larsson and Karl-Birger Blomdahl.
More recently there was a complete cycle of the symphonies of Gosta Nystroem. But apart from those there were only single discs of Kurt Atterberg and Hilding Rosenberg and two discs of John Fernstrom.

The company is presently engaged in an Alan Pettersson cycle.....and now we have this Erland von Koch disc. Swedish composers have fared better from CPO (Wilhelm Petersen-Berger, Ture Rangstrom, Kurt Atterberg, Dag Wiren, Alan Pettersson and, currently, Lars-Erik Larsson).

I hope that rather than a single von Koch disc Bis will follow this one up with another featuring the 5th and 6th symphonies.
Don't forget their support of Aho.  They are an excellent label who's support of contemporary music is far and wide.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 12:59:43 pm »

Bis continue to do a marvellous job of promoting the music of Kalevi Aho-who is of course a Finn. My criticism of the label is in regard to Swedish composers who have been consistently either totally or largely ignored: com[posers like Hilding Rosenberg or Hans Eklund, to name two.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 10:59:33 pm »

Erland Von Koch's Pianokonsert Nr. 3 Och Concerto Lirico was released on LP on Caprice back in the 1980s and has yet to resurface on CD. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 01:42:09 am »

I received my copy of the von Koch Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4 today :) I had hoped that perhaps Symphonies Nos. 5 and 6 might follow from BIS but I see that the Symphony No.3 was recorded as far back as 2011 and the Symphony No.4 in 2013.....so, perhaps not.

However I discovered on Amazon that although the Swedish Society Discofil cd containing von Koch's Oxberg Variations, Lappland Metamorfoser and the complete "Impulsi Trilogy" with "Impulsi"(which is on the new BIS cd), "Echi" and "Ritmi" is available at huge cost the contents of the disc can be downloaded for £7.49. A bargain indeed!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: