The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:39:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Polish Music

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polish Music  (Read 5603 times)
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:04 pm »

Artur Malawski: Tryptuk Goralski (1949-1950)
(Translation: Moutaineer’s or Highlands Triptych)

Orchestration  of piano version with radio intro and outro 
Polish RN Symphony Orchestra
Maciej Zoltowski, conductor
11 November 2005

From the collection of Karl Miller

I had hesitated in posting this to UC because there was already a performance posted there.

Bio from the USC Polish Music Center

BRIEF BIOGRAPHY

Artur Malawski was born on 4 July 1904 in Przemyśl and died on 26 December 1957 in Kraków. He graduated from the Kraków Conservatory of Music (studies under J. Chmielewski) with a high distinction as a violin virtuoso in 1928, and then from the Warsaw Conservatory of Music with two diplomas - in composition under K. Sikorski and conducting under W. Bierdiajew in 1939. He lectured on composition, conducting and theory at the State Higher School of Music in Kraków from 1945 until his death, where his pupils included Penderecki and Schaeffer. He also taught conducting at the State Higher School in Katowice (1950-54). In addition, Malawski appeared as a conductor of symphony orchestras in concert halls and on the radio. In the years 1948-51 he was President of the Polish Section of the ISCM. His conducting activities were restricted largely to his own works as he devoted most of his time and energy to composition.

Malawski received many awards for his works, among them in 1946 the Award of the Kraków Voivodeship; in 1949 - the Second Prize at the Chopin Competition for Composers in Warsaw for his Symphonic Variations, and the Third Prize at the same competition for Toccata and Fugue in the Form of Variations; in 1952 - the State Award of the Third Degree for The Peaks; in 1955 - the State Award of the Second Degree for his composer's and teaching activities in the previous decade; in the same year - the Prize of the Festival of Polish Contemporary Music and the Award of the Minister of Culture and Art for Symphonic Studies and for Trio for Piano, Violin and Violoncello; in 1956 - the Award of the Polish Composers' Union for the whole of his composer's and teaching activity; in the same year - the Order of the Banner of Labor of the Second Degree; in 1957 - the Music Award of the City of Kraków for his creative work, especially for his Symphony No.2.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: