The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:40:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Wilfred Josephs and his Symphonies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilfred Josephs and his Symphonies  (Read 475 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:42:41 am »

Many thanks to northern for drawing our attention to the off-air recording of the Wilfred Josephs (admittedly rather grim) Symphony No.4 on You Tube (which I have now successfully downloaded).

A contributer to YT in a comment on the Fourth Symphony laments the fact that the Symphonies Nos. 3 "Philadelphia" and No.7 "Winter" have been lost my the BBC. It would be nice to point out to him that both these symphonies are in our British Music Archive here. I do not know how to make a comment on YT so if somebody else feels so inclined I am sure that the person would be hugely grateful :)

My principal reason for posting here however is that there are two recordings of the Symphony No.1 on YT-the premiere performance of the 1974-75 revised version of the symphony by the BBC Symphony Orchestra under John Poole and another version by the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra under Meredith Davies. The version in our Archive on this site is advertised as the Davies but I think that it might in fact be the Poole. Now that I have downloaded both versions from YT I am no longer sure which performance is the one in our Archive but I think that it is the Poole rather than the Davies.

....on the other hand, of course, the people who uploaded the symphony to YT might have the two versions confused ::)

John ??? ???
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 07:19:12 am »

I was rather angry with an article in the newspaper earlier this year about the BBC TV series "The Great War" (1964) and how it was memorably enhanced by the theme music played by the BBC Northern Orchestra conducted by George Hurst - as if they could have played anything, and the composer made no difference. No mention of Josephs. It is this absurd modern habit of arranging everything by "artist" that does the damage.
Report Spam   Logged
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:38:39 pm »

I've just posted the first two piano concertos in the downloads section.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 03:04:15 pm »

Huge thanks for these two uploads :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: