The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:52:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Austrian Music

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Austrian Music  (Read 1870 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2012, 07:03:05 pm »

I have uploaded Schreker's wonderful opera Der Schatzgräber (1915-18) in the 1968 ORF broadcast - a bit boomy, but far superior to the disappointing Capriccio set.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest2
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:22:36 am »

My particular thanks for the Schatzgräber - it is by one of my favourite composers, and I have never heard it before.
Report Spam   Logged
Sicmu
Level 2

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:50:15 pm »

Erich Jaques Wolff (1874 - 1913)

Violin Concerto E flat op.20 (1909)

1. Allegro moderato
2. Schwermütig, nicht zu langsam – bewegt, leidenschaftlich drängend
3. gemächlich, nicht zu schnell - Vivace

Sophia Jaffé - Violin
Neue Philharmonie Westfalen
Heiko Mathias Förster

live performance 23.Okt.2012, Musiktheater im Revier, Gelsenkirchen
broadcast by WDR3

Thx for that one but the file is encoded at an unusual sample rate, especillay for a radio broadcast.
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »

... some technicalities slightly off topic, but in response to the former post:

Thx for that one but the file is encoded at an unusual sample rate, especillay for a radio broadcast.

I've recorded this originally via DVB/cable as transport stream (M2TS), containing 2 audio tracks
- MP2 (not MP3) at 320 kBps , 48.000 kHz
- AC3 at 448 kBps, 48.000 kHz
and extracted the latter, which resulted in a slightly smaller file size than that posted on Mediafire.

At the moment I am trying to find a final format for such types whithout reencoding to some other lossy format.
The m4a/MP4-files I've produced from aac/ac3 without any reencoding (just adding a container around, via X-Media Recode)
are sometimes not recognized as correct audio files by Foobar2000.

So in order to provide a quick solution without loosing the original quality I decided to reencode it as FLAC, which
to my own surprise resulted in a file that is only slightly larger than its lossy AC3 counterpart.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:01 pm »

Many, many thanks for the big von Einem Cantata "Das Stundenlied" :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:00:26 am »

... some technicalities slightly off topic, but in response to the former post:

I've recorded this originally via DVB/cable as transport stream (M2TS), containing 2 audio tracks
- MP2 (not MP3) at 320 kBps , 48.000 kHz
- AC3 at 448 kBps, 48.000 kHz
and extracted the latter, which resulted in a slightly smaller file size than that posted on Mediafire.

At the moment I am trying to find a final format for such types whithout reencoding to some other lossy format.
The m4a/MP4-files I've produced from aac/ac3 without any reencoding (just adding a container around, via X-Media Recode)
are sometimes not recognized as correct audio files by Foobar2000.

So in order to provide a quick solution without loosing the original quality I decided to reencode it as FLAC, which
to my own surprise resulted in a file that is only slightly larger than its lossy AC3 counterpart.
It converted quite well to MP3.  It has been duly split and labelled and is, as they say, "in the can".
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 04:14:45 pm »

I have uploaded a broadcast of the 1989 Bielefeld production of Schreker's Der singende Teufel (1924-28).

This is the only revival that the opera has had and it is therefore a pity that savage cuts and restructuring reduced the work from four acts to three. Nevertheless it is sung and played well enough to get an idea of the score, which is far removed from the luxuriant excesses of Die Gezeichneten, or even Irrelohe.

For background information and a plot synopsis of the original four-act version, see http://www.musikmph.de/musical_scores/vorworte/2006.html#english.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:38:46 pm »

Thanks for 'Der Singende Teufel'. It is shortend, but at least we can hear the essence and find out if the critics from the interbellum were right.
It must be for sure that they didn't find enough modernisms in the opera, and so decided to let it fall.
Or maybe I am I trhinking to good of Franz Schreker's music.
From what I heard sofar, it doesn't reach the quality of 'Der Ferne Klang' or 'Der Schatgräber, but it is not a disaster. When I finish listening I will see what I think than.
It is a pity that they have so less (or not at all) info about what was changed. In the past many works were sometimes even heavily cut and I can not find one that was made better.

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 02:35:33 pm »

To complete Schreker's operatic legacy, I have uploaded the 1984 ORF broadcast of Das Spielwerk (1915). This is a substantially revised version (in one act) of Das Spielwerk und die Prinzessin (1908-12) to the extent that it can properly by considered a separate work.

The ORF performance is excellent and I have had to spend a considerable time working on this recording, which came to me in a large number of randomly-ordered files with substantial gaps at either end ...

::)

but hopefully everything should now run smoothly. I have made a break at an appropriate juncture roughly half-way through to allow for members (like me) who like to transfer recordings to disc.

Here is the vocal score - http://imslp.org/wiki/Das_Spielwerk_(Schreker,_Franz)

The original version in a prologue and two acts is, of course, available in an extremely good performance on CPO -

CPO - 9999582
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 11:32:48 pm »

I have uploaded Schreker's wonderful opera Der Schatzgräber (1915-18) in the 1968 ORF broadcast - a bit boomy, but far superior to the disappointing Capriccio set.

Marvellous! Thank you,Albion! :) I have been waiting to hear a decent performance of this opera ever since hearing the Radio 3 broadcast in 1985,I think,conducted by Lothar Zagrosek. I remember the woman singing in the lead role had a stunningly beautiful voice. Her singing was really that lovely! I also remember that I had a Landlord at the time & his brother who came to stay with him obviously wasn't that keen,but I remember him saying what a beautiful voice she had. I have now located your response to my original post relating to this performance & singer on the U***** C******** forum :o ;D informing me that her name was Ana Pusar! Not exactly a household name (over here,anyway),but ooh,she was good. Yet,when Capriccio issue a premiere recording we get the equivalent of an aural scythe!! :o :( :( (I remember the Gramophone reviewer referring to this aspect of her vocal abilities!!) Dear,oh dear!! :( Also,I remember the sumptuousness of the 1985 performance. The orchestra was fantastic! Why couldn't someone have brought THAT performance out on cd?!!!! It's crazy!!! I actually taped it at the time,but my grotty cassette player of the time chewed the tapes up!!!!
Anyway,thank you so much Albion. Although,having said that,ingrate as I am,if anyone out there has tapes of that 1985 performance,imho,you REALLY would be doing everyone a big favour by providing us with an upload! Particularly for Ana Pusar,but also for that wonderful orchestral playing. (In fact,as far as I can remember,all the other performers were very good) Also,it's the first performance I ever heard! If only someone would release it on cd!!
In the meantime,I can't wait to hear this one!!!!! :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 01:59:21 am »

The wonderful Netherlands Opera broadcast of Schreker's Der Schatzgraber is now in the Austrian folder (in the same location as the 1968 ORF broadcast). As with the earlier performance, I have uploaded separate files for the Prologue, Acts 1 to 4 and the (thankfully now complete) Epilogue.

Report Spam   Logged

Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »

Here any data on R.Maux:

http://www.onb.ac.at/sammlungen/litarchiv/bestaende_det.php?id=maux
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »

Many thanks for the Berg Passacaglia fragment, Matthias :)

I wasn't aware of a Chandos recording if it-I'll have to check it out!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 07:15:31 pm »

I've put the Chandos CD near the top of my want list-it also includes an orchestration of the Piano Sonata, which is only otherwise available coupled with Chailly's Mahler 1, which I would not want.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 02:45:26 am »

Indeed :)

Fascinating to hear the realisation of the Berg Passacaglia!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: