The Art-Music Forum
December 07, 2019, 04:40:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 21664 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 134

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »

John...thank you very much indeed for this information about Kelly and the worklist you have put up elsewhere Smiley Smiley

I really would like to hear more of this man's work Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
David Carter
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 05:04:47 pm »

I've played some of the Bryan Kelly Brass Band Works and am sure I've got a recording of the Edinburgh Dances somewhere. A search of the itunes store (by composer name) throws up a couple of movements from something called Jamaican Canticles but that doesn't appear on Albion's worklist.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 08:06:22 pm »

Bryan Kelly (b.1934) studied at the Royal College of Music with Gordon Jacob and Herbert Howells between 1951 and 1955, and later in Paris with Nadia Boulanger. He later taught at both the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and the Royal College of Music (1963-1984).

There is a serious error in Grove's current work-list which includes a solitary Symphony and dates it to 1988. In fact, Kelly wrote two Symphonies (1983 and 1986) and it is the first which has recently been uploaded. I have added broadcast dates and performer details for this and other recent contributions (including the very welcome Edward German broadcasts) to the catalogue.

Smiley

I first encountered a Bryan Kelly score whilst studying A Level music at college and playing trombone in a brass group (c.1976). It was a piece not listed in Albion's works list called Fanfares and Sonatina for Brass. I've kept an ear open for his work since but the promotion of his music just seemed to fizzle out - then this first symphony came up on Radio 3.

I have two Kelly vocal scores which might give an idea of his other work:

At the Round Earth's Imagin'd Corners Tenor, Chorus & Strings (Novello, 1977)
1) At the round earth's imagin'd corners (John Donne) SATB
2) Never weather beaten sail (Thomas Campion) Tenor
3) Oh my blacks soule! (John Donne) SATB
4) Drop, drop, slow tears (Phineas Fletcher) Tenor
5) Done is the battell on the dragon blak (William Dunbar) Tenor & SATB
6) Wilt thou forgive that sin? (John Donne) Tenor & SATB
Duration 18 minutes.

Canticum Festivum Tenor, Chorus & Orchestra (OUP 1964) - not on Albion's list
Text: A Song for St Cecilia's Day by John Dryden.
Duration 12 Minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

Times thanked: 47

Henry Hugo Pierson (1815-1873)

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »

Thanks, Jim - Canticum Festivum duly added to the catalogue.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)
Jim
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 11:13:50 pm »

The Bryan Kelly brass piece wasn't for brass band; most of our brass group managed to fit into a Ford Anglia (with instruments!). I have searched the net and find it was a sextet: two trumpets, two horns and two trombones. It is a published by Novello who also have a works list on their site: http://www.chesternovello.com/default.aspx?TabId=2432&State_3041=2&workId_3041=1136

Complete works published by [Chester] Novello: http://www.chesternovello.com/default.aspx?TabId=2431&State_2905=3&ComposerID_2905=818&CategoryID_2905=0
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 06:40:53 pm »

...(including the very welcome Edward German broadcasts)...

Smiley
Very glad to hear these are appreciated. I rather like the broad and poco marcato statement of the theme in the broadcast performance of the Theme and Six Diversions.
Report Spam   Logged
David Carter
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:54 pm »

And thank you so much Jim for the two PMD 1st performances.

What else have you got up your sleeve? Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2012, 10:30:31 pm »

Up in the loft more like! One more PMD - letting his hair down long before Mavis Wink
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:55 pm »

Up in the loft more like! One more PMD - letting his hair down long before Mavis Wink

Is that recording of the Suite from The Boy Friend the same one that was on a Collins Classics release (along with The Devils and Seven in Nomine)?
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 10:57:28 pm »

Is that recording of the Suite from The Boy Friend the same one that was on a Collins Classics release (along with The Devils and Seven in Nomine)?

According to my cassette I have written 'Fires of London / PMD'. It is a broadcast of a performance with audience. The Collins disc was Aquarius / Nick Cleobury
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2012, 11:56:03 pm »

According to my cassette I have written 'Fires of London / PMD'. It is a broadcast of a performance with audience. The Collins disc was Aquarius / Nick Cleobury

Oh, my mistake. I should have remembered that. In any case, thank you!
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:00 am »

Jim from Jim:

Thanks so much Jim for all the wonderful stuff you're posting: I'm trying to keep up with downloads. Really especially good to see something from 'A Princess of Kensington', which is right at the top of my list of operettas I want to hear before I die. Tom Jones used to be above it (though I had at least seen that on stage), until Naxos recorded it. I don't suppose anyone has any idea who the soloists were in those four German songs?
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 03:33:20 pm »

Thanks Jim.
I had quite a bit digitised already (apart from the symphonies) but Mediafire wasn't working for me when I joined UC. After eventual success with mediafire I came here for obvious reasons. Just clearing out cassettes that can go to the charity shop but saving and transferring the sharable items - always nice when you find things you totally forgot about!

'Where Haven Lies' is probably the only thing I have heard from 'A Princess of Kensington' and would love to see it too! I was surprised when Naxos released Tom Jones, a long time favourite of mine, and I was quite surprised at how the soloists often sounded very similar to the old LP excerpts (Gilbert Vinter and the Williams Singers etc.) - very glad they recorded the cut songs too, though two of them are in the concert version. Albion appears to have a source of arcane knowledge where old broadcasts are concerned.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2012, 01:38:38 am »

I used to have a recording of "Three Jolly Sailormen" from "Princess", an old recording from near the time it was written with (I think) Henry Lytton singing the role he created of William Jelf, but it is long ago lost since I moved to Japan. I also once sang the number "It's a Pressing invitation that I bring", along with "From Rock to Rock" from "The Contrabandista" at a church concert, but that's the nearest I've got to hearing anything else from the opera. Maybe Naxos will follow up the recording of 'Tom Jones' with ones of "Kensington" and "Fallen Fairies". They have brought out a few good opera releases in recent years.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »

I used to have a recording of "Three Jolly Sailormen" from "Princess",
Now you mention it, I recall hearing a digistised version of this - just piano accomp. The Fallen Fairies score does look excellent too. It seems unthinkable that Lehar would have been so neglected, but our home grown operettas have sadly suffered that fate.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: