The Art-Music Forum
June 22, 2018, 12:02:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 20004 times)
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 05, 2017, 02:49:43 pm »

What exactly are the "constraints" and "detriment" you allude to (even if only in a speculative way)?  Could you be more clear?  Fine if we eventually "hear from someone involved", but let's discuss the possibilities while we wait for that.  You apparently have some knowledge and experience of what can occur in these circumstances.  Why not share more precisely the thing(s) you have in mind?

Well, what I meant is that in music school we were told if you have only 20 minutes to work with the orchestra and wrote a piece that would require 30 minutes to properly execute it, you failed in meeting the constraints you had.  The result is subpar or incomplete performance which does not reflect well on your intention or the quality of your work.  That is the detriment.  Perhaps the schedule would not allow all the music to be properly rehearsed so jettisoning a movement would be preferential than a disastrous complete performance.   That was what I was speculating on. 

Robin Holloway responded to my question about the "cut" in the Fourth Concerto and here is what he said:

it was too long!!  Something had to go--- & it was generous of MTT & the orchestra to play so much as they did.  They ran the omitted movement through for me at rehearsal---pretty well; but unfortunately the mikes were not switched on. Introducing the 3 performances, MTT explained circumstances, & got a laugh every night  for "in San Francisco we lose our virtues" (the missing section depicts the 7 Cardinal Virtues,
balancing the 7 Deadly Sins of 3rd mvt.). Thanks for your kind words! & all best,

Robin H
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 94

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: October 05, 2017, 04:12:04 pm »

With all due respect to Robin Holloway-and it certainly is to his credit that he has at least provided a response-he has not provided an answer to the actual question. It was "too long". Too long for what or for whom? Something "had to go". Did it? Why?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: March 08, 2018, 02:29:20 pm »

Many thanks for the upload of the Dorothy Howell  Concerto.

There is of course a cd version of this concerto on Cameo Classics but Danny Driver might be considered a more reliable and expert soloist in such rare repertoire and he has a somewhat finer orchestra to accompany him.
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 08, 2018, 06:43:45 pm »

The BBC website makes clear that this is the recording of the Howell Piano concerto as issued commercially by hyperion:

Piano Concerto in D minor

Performer: Danny Driver. Orchestra: BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. Conductor: Rebecca Miller.
THE ROMANTIC PIANO CONCERTO 70 - BEACH, CHAMINADE & HOWELL. HYPERION. 001.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tcw0y

Therefore it should be removed immediately from this site I think.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: March 08, 2018, 07:07:40 pm »

Obviously that is the correct thing to do!

I didn't appreciate that there was an alternative recording on Hyperion. Just shows how much I am "into" romantic piano concertos 
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 08, 2018, 08:40:02 pm »

Whoops, will delete the linked file immediately.

Actually the leading talk didn't mention was a recording at all, it gave the impression that it was recently recorded concert.
Report Spam   Logged
Corentin Boissier
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 27, 2018, 12:53:24 pm »

WARNING : In the post by "Latvian" from February 20, 2016, the work listed as Aloys Fleischmann's Prelude and Dance (1940) is actually Ina Boyle's Violin Concerto (1935). The performers are indeed The Ulster Orchestra conducted by Kenneth Montgomery, with violinist Catherine Leonard. I take the opportunity to thank you for all the treasures you uploaded !
Report Spam   Logged
Latvian
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: March 27, 2018, 08:40:44 pm »

WARNING : In the post by "Latvian" from February 20, 2016, the work listed as Aloys Fleischmann's Prelude and Dance (1940) is actually Ina Boyle's Violin Concerto (1935). The performers are indeed The Ulster Orchestra conducted by Kenneth Montgomery, with violinist Catherine Leonard. I take the opportunity to thank you for all the treasures you uploaded !

Thank you for offering a correction to my upload information, but it would have been more polite to notify me privately so that I could fix the problem. I must have uploaded the wrong file and not realized it. If I still have the correct file I will replace the incorrect upload as soon as I have a chance.
Report Spam   Logged
Corentin Boissier
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 28, 2018, 11:27:28 am »

Thank you for offering a correction to my upload information, but it would have been more polite to notify me privately so that I could fix the problem. I must have uploaded the wrong file and not realized it. If I still have the correct file I will replace the incorrect upload as soon as I have a chance.

I'm sorry, but I had to notify everybody so that the persons who downloaded the file during its two years of existence know that they actually have a work by Boyle and not by Fleischmann... I did not think it would upset you.
Musically,
Corentin Boissier
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 73

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 04, 2018, 04:08:09 pm »

I think that the uploader would have informed us about the mistake. o a private message to him was more polite.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: June 01, 2018, 09:48:25 am »

Although I am away from home and have not been able to listen yet, many thanks for the upload of the John Joubert Symphony No.3
Report Spam   Logged
granaryclubhippy
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 20, 2018, 09:26:53 pm »

Many thanks for the download of John Joubert's 3rd but did anybody manage to "catch" Joubert's Piano Concerto broadcast on the 1st June? I was working away from home and missed it and would love to be able to download it.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 20, 2018, 10:15:14 pm »

There's still time to record it, I'll do it tonight.

Grin

ps I like the Joubert S3, vey atmospheric, Yorkshire Pastoral, ie a bit grim.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 21, 2018, 10:19:37 pm »

Sorry I didn't around to recording the Joubert Piano Concerto, will get around to it over the weekend. Cry
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: Today at 10:43:48 am »

Ok done (John Joubert Piano Concerto, that is).

Apparently it is the companion piece on the forthcoming Joubert disk with the Symphony No.3, so this is a foretaste only and will be taken down as soon as the CD appears.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: