The Art-Music Forum
January 21, 2021, 09:28:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 29969 times)
Albion
Level 5

Times thanked: 56

Cipriani Potter (1792-1871)

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2012, 04:10:57 pm »

Today's broadcast of Daniel Jones' Cello Concerto is now in the archive - Symphonies 11 and 12 will follow later in the week.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 135

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2012, 06:29:44 pm »

Thanks, John Smiley

One point though....in the Folder you have labelled the file as Gourlay(1986) instead of Gourlay(2012).
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2012, 06:37:11 pm »

The file is labelled

Jones - Cello Concerto (1986) - Gourlay

as in all other cases (where multiple recordings are concerned), thus indicating the date of the composition rather than that of the performance.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2012, 06:45:58 pm »

Mea culpa Embarrassed Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2012, 06:52:20 pm »

Nae problem!

Wink

It was a superb performance of the Concerto by Paul Watkins, a cellist frequently found on the Chandos label, no less ...

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Jim
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:26 pm »

I decided to attempt a better balanced digitisation of the Bryan Kelly Symphony [No. 1]. It is to be found in > Downloads > Bryan Kelly, as an alternative link.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2012, 03:04:33 am »

Many thanks to Jim for his upload of the Maxwell Davies Symphony no. 8 Smiley.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2012, 05:18:28 pm »

I have uploaded my recording of Daniel Jones' Symphony No.12 conducted by Grant Llewellyn: one of the most concentrated of Jones' works (a quixotic piece with wide and sudden dynamic contrasts) it certainly demands repeated listening ...

Smiley

... I simply can't believe that there isn't a commercial audience for music of this quality.

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2012, 05:56:06 pm »

I have uploaded my recording of Daniel Jones' Symphony No.12 conducted by Grant Llewellyn: one of the most concentrated of Jones' works (a quixotic piece with wide and sudden dynamic contrasts) it certainly demands repeated listening ...

Smiley

... I simply can't believe that there isn't a commercial audience for music of this quality.

Roll Eyes
Thank you Albion!
I've known the old Lps of 4,6,7,8 & 9 for years (and,latterly,the Lyrita cds) Of course,here in Wales they were always in the libraries. Listening to the entire cycle,courtesy of the uploads here,it is very hard to understand why they aren't programmed here (at least!) on a regular basis. Here we are with this tremendous symphonic cycle & our supposed BBC National Orchestra of Wales playing Russian,German & Finnish composers,but no Daniel Jones?!! Why? Is it because they just think he's c**p? Because no one will want to listen to them? (No back sides on the seats!)
I hope it's not the former! Shocked Sad

Meanwhile the Welsh National Opera have received a 1.2m donation from the Getty Family,which will be used to present a new series of contemporary operas,including.....suprise..suprise.....Gordon Getty's opera 'Usher House'!! Norman Lebrecht has expressed his suprise at David Pountney's* " eleventh-hour enthusiasm for Getty's work",describing him (Getty) on his blog as "talentless". To be fair,I haven't heard Getty's music,so I can't really comment on that,but I can't see any Welsh opera's on their list (unless I've missed one! Roll Eyes ).

*WNO Chief Executive & Artistic Director.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2012, 07:19:27 pm »

I agree - many thanks for the Jones downloads - thanks to the British & Irish downloads list I too have filled the gaps in the cycle, and it is good to have an opportunity to hear the other works.

Thanks Kyjo - I hadn't labelled that cassette and forgot I had it!

As for Getty, I found some audio samples here: http://www.pentatonemusic.com/index1.htm?pags/5186356/5186356.htm~rechts

(The play buttons take a while to load).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2012, 09:47:04 pm »

Cilgwyn

My response is in the thread- "Individual Composers: Daniel Jones" Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2012, 10:04:12 pm »

Cilgwyn

My response is in the thread- "Individual Composers: Daniel Jones" Smiley
When I revisited the forum I realised it wasn't a Daniel Jones thread! Lucky for me it's not the UC!! Shocked Grin Apologies,anyway!

Thanks for the link Jim. From what I've read (various reviews) I don't think I'm going to be too crazy about his music;but you've got to hear a composer first. Who knows? Perhaps I'll be snowed under with Gordon Getty cds?! Grin

Grin Yes,you really DID answer all my 'points' in 'that' post,Dundonnell! I think I was just having a moan,really. Sometime it helps! Sad Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2012, 06:38:19 pm »

I have just uploaded a recording of Daniel Jones' Symphony No.11 (1983) broadcast earlier today.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

britishcomposer
Level 4

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2012, 09:56:12 pm »

Thank you Jim for uploading the Joyce song-cycle by Geoffrey Molyneux Palmer (1882-1957)!
Although I am very interested in the English song repertoire I hadn't heard of him before. He is not even mentioned by Stephen Banfield in his great study "Sensibility and English Song", perhaps because these songs had only been rediscovered at the time of writing? This is quite surprising because he was the first composer to set James Joyce's poetry (1907)! He is very much indebted to Stanford and perhaps Somervell. His melodic invention is not as characteristic as their's but he definitely has a talent for setting words. The vocal line balances the poetic line very subtly.

Some more information on Geoffrey Molyneux Palmer here:
http://www.cmc.ie/composers/composer.cfm?composerID=99
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »

I wish I'd been equipped to record the whole programme as I am dying to hear 'Goldenhair'. Thanks for mentioning the Banfield Study - looks very thorough - I'd never heard of it but that is no surprise given the dearth of music textbooks within easy reach these days. I do find the English song repertory interesting too so I must put it on my wishlist.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: