The Art-Music Forum
October 24, 2017, 10:20:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 19475 times)
relm1
Level 3

Times thanked: 13

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 05, 2017, 02:49:43 pm »

What exactly are the "constraints" and "detriment" you allude to (even if only in a speculative way)?  Could you be more clear?  Fine if we eventually "hear from someone involved", but let's discuss the possibilities while we wait for that.  You apparently have some knowledge and experience of what can occur in these circumstances.  Why not share more precisely the thing(s) you have in mind?

Well, what I meant is that in music school we were told if you have only 20 minutes to work with the orchestra and wrote a piece that would require 30 minutes to properly execute it, you failed in meeting the constraints you had.  The result is subpar or incomplete performance which does not reflect well on your intention or the quality of your work.  That is the detriment.  Perhaps the schedule would not allow all the music to be properly rehearsed so jettisoning a movement would be preferential than a disastrous complete performance.   That was what I was speculating on. 

Robin Holloway responded to my question about the "cut" in the Fourth Concerto and here is what he said:

it was too long!!  Something had to go--- & it was generous of MTT & the orchestra to play so much as they did.  They ran the omitted movement through for me at rehearsal---pretty well; but unfortunately the mikes were not switched on. Introducing the 3 performances, MTT explained circumstances, & got a laugh every night  for "in San Francisco we lose our virtues" (the missing section depicts the 7 Cardinal Virtues,
balancing the 7 Deadly Sins of 3rd mvt.). Thanks for your kind words! & all best,

Robin H
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 86

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: October 05, 2017, 04:12:04 pm »

With all due respect to Robin Holloway-and it certainly is to his credit that he has at least provided a response-he has not provided an answer to the actual question. It was "too long". Too long for what or for whom? Something "had to go". Did it? Why?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: