The Art-Music Forum
October 23, 2017, 10:41:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 19475 times)
Albion
Level 5

Times thanked: 42

Henry Hugo Pierson (1815-1873)

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:26:23 pm »

The collection formerly housed elsewhere is now available in a slightly revised format. Members who have not encountered it before may be surprised at the appearance of certain names: the archive also includes a number of prominent Commonwealth and émigré composers, together with those who contributed their chief efforts to the musical life of this country.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Social Buttons

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 86

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:44:10 pm »

Well done Smiley Smiley

That WAS quick Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:48:26 pm »

The biggest musical treasure trove I've ever encountered in my life. Cheesy Great to see it here, though it will take years to play it all.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Albion
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »

Well done Smiley Smiley

That WAS quick Grin

Just a little tweak here and there, you know! Hopefully everything should work pretty much as before - please let me know if there are any problems: I've spent the day moving files around and creating brand-new folders so it is entirely within the bounds of possibility that one or two items may have erred and strayed ...

Roll Eyes

The biggest musical treasure trove I've ever encountered in my life. Cheesy Great to see it here, though it will take years to play it all.  Wink

There's always something in the archive that you can put away for a rainy day ... [looks out of window] ... oh, that'll be today then!

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)
David Carter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 05:10:55 pm »

Yes many many thanks Albion for curating this wonderful collection (the only reason I joined UC). Now that there's presumably no restriction or prejudice against more modern composers we can start including non commercial recordings of any British, Irish (or commonwealth!?) composer, in which case I will have more to contribute.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:14:06 pm »

there's presumably no restriction or prejudice against more modern composers we can start including non commercial recordings of any British, Irish (or commonwealth!?) composer, in which case I will have more to contribute.

Yep, that's the idea - I kicked-off the topic by linking to the established archive previously available through another forum because that seemed the most appropriate thing to do. As far as I'm aware, the ethos of this forum is that 'anything goes' (at least in private between consenting adults) so just post your downloads in the thread!

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 47

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:22:29 pm »

Ah, Mr. Albion, so relieved to see this wonderful collection alive & well here !
 Someone recommended trying Dale's 'Flowing Tide', so went to UC to try to find it, and couldn't get access; thought the collection was lost to me/us !
All seems very quiet at UC...such a shame - spent so many happy hours there. Am firmly hoping that there'll be lots more wonderful music to discver here now !
Many thanks, to all, as always.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Albion
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 05:37:26 pm »

Call me John. Hopefully this 'new' forum will quickly pick up business from music-collectors and enthusiasts who no longer feel able to contribute elsewhere. I don't know if the 'inappropriate' (i.e. non-Romantic) downloads that members posted at UC are still there ...

Huh

... perhaps there could be a gradual transfer.
Report Spam   Logged

David Carter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 06:16:25 pm »

Henry Ernest Geehl (1881 – 1961)

Oliver Cromwell (1923) - Concert Overture for Brass Band

Sun Life Stanshawe Band

From a 1977 LP on the Two Ten label (?). I have searched extensively and cannot find this available anywhere.

I though I might be the first to post a piece by Henry Geehl but was pleased to see one of his other brass band pieces On The Cornish Coast already there. Apologies for the crackles and pops I'm afraid I'm a complete amateur at transferring LPs. The sounds pretty good though and this has always been one of my favourite original early brass band works.

He wrote another test piece called Robin Hood which I don't think has ever been recorded. Would love to get hold of that.

(PS known as davetubaking on UC board - and previously on this board but had to re-register)
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 03:39:41 pm »

Fab, I think the only things I ever knew by Geehl were his arrangement of Elgar's "Adieu" for orchestra and his doing the brass band scoring of the same composer's "Severn Suite". Lovely to hear something original!
Report Spam   Logged
David Carter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 05:31:16 pm »

Fab, I think the only things I ever knew by Geehl were his arrangement of Elgar's "Adieu" for orchestra and his doing the brass band scoring of the same composer's "Severn Suite". Lovely to hear something original!

I'm sure I read that the suggestion Geehl orchestrated Elgar's Severn Suite had been pooh-poohed because a full score in Elgar's hand exists. I believe he is properly credited with orchestrating Holst's Moorside Suite.
Report Spam   Logged
phoenixmusic
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 10:52:32 am »

Thank you so much for transferring this catalogue from UC, I was worried that it might be lost forever!

Peter.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 05:24:43 pm »

No problem! Incidentally, I think it was kyjo who raised the point about whether or not 'Romantic' music should be discussed here on the forum (implying that he assumed that this area was still the domain of UC) - as far I'm aware there are no restrictions on AMF, so unfamiliar music of any period is welcome for debate - including (with customary crude generalisations) early, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical or Romantic ...

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 05:36:27 pm »

Please could someone who still has a UC account send a PM to patmos.beje to let him know that the British Music archive is over here now?

Huh
Report Spam   Logged

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 67

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »

as far I'm aware there are no restrictions on AMF

Speaking as a longtime member of this forum, I can confirm that there has never been the slightest artificial attempt to constrain discussion on this messageboard to music of any period whatsoever.  Past discussions have included the oldest-known sources of plainchant through to premieres of new works written in the current year.

The only effective "rule" is that of retaining basic civility while discussing things, and respecting the opinions of others - hardly burdensome to those with a serious interest in music and culture, and very beneficial to intelligent discussion Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: