The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:44:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mayako Kubo (1947): Piano Concerto (1985-'86)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayako Kubo (1947): Piano Concerto (1985-'86)  (Read 606 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:51:50 am »

Going back to the Kubo piano concerto, this is very far from an academic or formulaic work. The composer takes various musical ideas - fragments of harmony, rhythm, piano figurations - that would be considered inadmissable by a strict serialist, and juxtaposes them in imaginative ways. Of course, if you came to it expecting a late romantic concerto, you would be disappointed. I can imagine (and I have some experience in support of this) that an inexperienced listener with no idea of what to expect from a piano concerto might well approach the piece with an open mind and be quite receptive to it.
To be honest, I don't know what "style" it is and/or what I expected. but I know it sure ain't Rachmaninoff or Vladigerov.
I'm an experienced listener but not a musician or musicologist..and perhaps there's the rub.
I think I have an open mind but I hope not an empty one. Perhaps I lack musical background
to be more discerning of just what this composer was trying to say.

I had a very strong negative reaction to this music and wanted to see if any others felt the same way.
But I should be aware that any discussion of "bad" music is generally not practical, but discussions of
bad (or flawed) performances and/or recordings can be very useful.

I think discussing this music may be akin to discussing opinions about eating liver.

Either you relish and enjoy it, or you hold your nose and leave the room before you get nauseous.
Disagreement on such things are unavoidable.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: