The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:27:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What is Your Favorite Key Signature?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Your Favorite Key Signature?  (Read 3864 times)
kyjo
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:34:41 am »

And Lyapunov: Piano Concerto No. 1.

How could I forget this one? Lyapunov's PCs are some of my favorites! Thanks for reminding me of it, Jim :)
Report Spam   Logged
David Carter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 08:34:40 am »

I'm very keen on Bb major because Bb0 (or the note a semitone above the lowest note on the piano) is a most rude note on my tuba.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 08:31:30 am »

E-flat minor, like B-flat minor and D-flat major, is another key favored almost exclusively by the Russian composers ...

Curious, that. I like these "dramatic" keys myself, though I could not say I had one favourite any more than I could say I had one favourite colour.
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 10:11:27 am »

E-major is inherently out of tune and unstable, especially on the piano.
Excuse me?  Due to equal temperament, E Major is just as stable and in tune as any other key, especially on the piano!

Only true in theory, Jim. How many really good piano tuners do you know?
Do you really find all 5ths on a piano identical?
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 04:10:32 pm »

E-major is inherently out of tune and unstable, especially on the piano.
Excuse me?  Due to equal temperament, E Major is just as stable and in tune as any other key, especially on the piano!

Only true in theory, Jim. How many really good piano tuners do you know?
Do you really find all 5ths on a piano identical?
You answered your own question.  If the piano is tuned properly, by a trained professional, then all the notes will be equally "in tune" and all the 5th will be identical.  It goes without saying that this doesn't apply if you have a bad piano tuner.  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 07:11:29 pm »

If the piano is tuned properly, by a trained professional, then all the notes will be equally "in tune" and all the 5th will be identical.  It goes without saying that this doesn't apply if you have a bad piano tuner.  ;D

But there is no such thing as one single equal temperament.  There are many different permutations.

12-TET is favoured by some tuners, but the results can be quite unsuccessful with thirds (see above)
There is some more information about 12-TET, and the reasons & places it goes wrong on pianos, here on WikiPedia.  Some of this stuff is specific to pianos and their mechanisms. There is a detailed listing of the mathematically 'correct' frequencies of all 88 notes of a concert grand, but in reality - explanation given there too - these are not always the best choice. So when you ask for 12-TET, in 95% of cases you're still not getting it, but the tuner's corrected version of it instead.

31-TET is used by many professional tuners these days. It tempers the fifths, in order to get the thirds in closer.

There is also 41-TET, which is a decent compromise, but there are still some ropey fifths. The tuners at the Moscow Conservatoire use 41-TET, unless given other instructions, for example. 53-TET is the closest usual tuning to strict Pythagorean, but it drives people bonkers. It's used in Turkish music, though.

Some performers of atonal music go for 72-TET, which is a correcter "mathematical" squeezing. But I don't know any tuners who will put this tuning onto an instrument that is intended for general use - and in fact many would baulk at it entirely.

It's worth remembering that 'just temperament' is not the same as 'equal temperament'. It's also worth remembering that the words 'temper' and 'tamper' have the same root :)
Report Spam   Logged
Maestro267
Level 1

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 05:01:08 pm »

I'm a big fan of B minor. A lot of my favourite music I have later found out is in that key. Tchaikovsky used in for two of his symphonies, including his longest, Manfred. It also features prominently in Swan Lake. Other great works in the key include Shostakovich's 6th Symphony, Gliére's 3rd (Il'ya Muromets) and Paderewski's only symphony (Polonia), the latter two of these are both epic works of over 70 minutes' duration.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 07:45:47 pm »

I don't have one. Should I?
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 07:48:21 pm »

Eb
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 08:43:39 pm »

I don't have one. Should I?

As a man who knows his piano music, it wouldn't be C major, would it?

G# minor?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: