The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:31:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Kalevi Aho: Symphony No. 16 (world premiere)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kalevi Aho: Symphony No. 16 (world premiere)  (Read 2021 times)
mugurdavid
Level 1

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:01:39 pm »

Kalevi Aho: Symphony No. 16 for mezzo-soprano, strings and percussion (world premiere, 9/3/2015)

Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Hannu Lintu, conductor
Virpi Räisänen, mezzo-soprano

http://areena.yle.fi/1-3004417

The full concert - including Sibelius' The Oceanides and the early version of the Violin Concerto:
http://yle.fi/aihe/tapahtuma/2015/09/03/thursday-series-1
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 11:57:31 pm »

Aho composes faster than BIS has time to catch up recording his new music.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:30:29 am »

Will someone be kind enough to download here as mp3?  :D
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:40:59 pm »

Did Kalevi Aho's Symphony No 6 ever get released by BIS?   I noticed it was not available on CD.. perhaps on LP?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:40:17 am »

Did Kalevi Aho's Symphony No 6 ever get released by BIS?   I noticed it was not available on CD.. perhaps on LP?

No, BIS has not yet recorded the symphony. I seem to recall some story that they tried to do so but the conductor (whoever he might have been ???) found it too difficult.

There is an off-air performance by the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra under Jorma Panula available to download.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 12:47:51 am »

Egad, - Aho's Symphonic output may well end up exceeding that among all the Finns save one.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 10:03:30 am »

A most sincere thank you to Elroel!
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 10:58:07 pm »

I'll second that, Tapiola!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 09:37:43 pm »

Ditto from me :)
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 01:29:53 am »

Listening was some very heavy listening. Over 50 minutes of unrelenting sorrow and terror.  The poetess was murdered in Auschwitz and the German texts tells of the "Journey" she was making.  The audience was exhausted I am sure.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 01:28:38 pm »

I agree that the Symphony No.16 is harrowing (so too is much of Shostakovich's greatest music).....but very impressive (I am not suggesting that Tapiola is implying anything different!).

I think that Kalevi Aho is one of the finest living composers. He does compose a great deal of music but almost all of it is of a very high quality. And, although not by any means "light music" it is not rebarbative. I know that Osmo Vanska is a great admirer of Aho and I hope that he will be able to record more of the music.

There are very few living symphonists who can still breathe life into the genre. Aho is most certainly one and one wishes he was even better known outside Finland.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 02:05:06 am »

Listening was some very heavy listening. Over 50 minutes of unrelenting sorrow and terror.  The poetess was murdered and the German texts tell of the "Journey" she was making.  The audience was exhausted I am sure.

Not so much exhausted as exasperated. Compare the Brahms symphonies. No poetesses, no murders, sonata form, true Art: Absolute Music!
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 04:14:40 am »

Ah!  The old "the-only-worthwhile-music-is-the-music-I-say-is-worthwhile" gambit again.  Move over, David Wright!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 07:53:17 am »

Listening was some very heavy listening. Over 50 minutes of unrelenting sorrow and terror.  The poetess was murdered and the German texts tell of the "Journey" she was making.  The audience was exhausted I am sure.

Not so much exhausted as exasperated. Compare the Brahms symphonies. No poetesses, no murders, sonata form, true Art: Absolute Music!
True Brahms, actually (and wonderful at that). But Aho, of course, is not Brahms, nor does or should he pretend to be. He comes from a different country and a different era. From your "no poetesses, no murders, sonata form, true Art", should it be concluded that you'd likewise deprecate the inclusion of odes to joy in a symphony? And what's so superior about "sonata form" which had in any case developed immensely by Brahms's time from what it had been in Haydn's? The form - whatever it may be in any given work - should, after all, provide a framework for the ideas and not exist as some kind of jelly-mould into which those ideas be poured, as Sorabji would have said. Comparing a Brahms symphony to an Aho one is about as useful as comparing The Bartered Bride or The Pirates of Penzance with Die Soldaten or What Next?; an entirely pointless exercise. If the particular subject matter explored in the Aho is one that you would consider unsuitable for a musical work (which it seems is indeed your view), would you reject Metamorphosen on the same or similar grounds? Do also try to take on board the fact that music is a human expression and that for this very reason there is absolutely no such thing as "absolute music" - i.e. divorced from humanity.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 04:05:14 am »

"Absolute music" as contrasted with music designed to expressively depict or at least distill specific and historical human events seems a valid distinction.  Who would ever think absolute music means "divorced from humanity"?
More in the mode of the "essential" as opposed to the "episodic".  Something like that.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: