The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:39:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

To split or not to split?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To split or not to split?  (Read 343 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:45:52 pm »

This is an equally relevant question for downloads, probably more so, but I could not find the ideal place in the forum to post it. It is this: do people here prefer to have a work split up into separate files/videos for each movement, or have them run together into one file?

Generally, since I am not going to listen to individual movements in isolation, I prefer to have the whole work in one file as it is less to download and convert if necessary (I store as .m4a). Also, given the cranky way YouTube works, actually finding all the separate movements of a piece is not as easy as it might be. If you are listening to movement #1, movement #2 is usually in the right-hand sidebar in amongst a lot of dross, but sometimes it isn't.

What do others feel about it?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 04:59:30 pm »

I'm with you.  I hate downloading 4 minute movements.  Plus, as you say, often the search.  And frequently it isn't there.......

OF
Report Spam   Logged
guest182
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:07:25 am »

I prefer to have the whole work in one file

I agree.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 12:41:29 pm »

I definitely prefer separately!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 03:46:06 pm »

We have to live with this split situation, I think. It is easier when a work was complete downloadable.
Next to this, I found a couple of wrongly named files, what is worring me more.
For downloading with slow connections, short files are probably better than large ones.
There are sometimes restrictions to the lenght of files within Youtube, or with some providers. They are splitted automatically. There are several programmes that re-unite those files.

And yes it is sometimes difficult to catch a work complete, especially when one doesn't know the number of parts. Still, Youtube is such an incredible source of knowloedge!!

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 08:42:16 am »

It also applies to downloads here - some are posted as zip files containing separate mp3s for each movement, others as one complete file.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 11:13:44 pm »

It is indeed very annoying and time-consuming to download a large batch of small files comprising a larger work or program from YouTube. But, if the music is of sufficient interest, I grit my teeth and do it.

However... I do prefer individual tracks for individual movements, so that I can jump to a particular section of a larger work if I want to concentrate on it. I use Audacity to break up untracked recordings into separate tracks or movements, and then save the results that way. In the course of editing I always try to optimize the recording level (many live recordings are over- or under-modulated), clean up long dead spaces between movements, eliminate various noises (when they don't necessitate cutting music), etc...

So, yes -- I definitely prefer individual tracks as the end result.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: