The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:27:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vadim Salmanov (1912-1978)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vadim Salmanov (1912-1978)  (Read 441 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2015, 10:40:03 pm »

I was browsing in my local music shop recently when I came upon a two-CD set of the complete symphonies of Vadim Salmanov. Never having heard of such a person, I naturally picked it up.

Salmanov seems to be a figure that has slipped through the cracks of musical history. There is no mention of him in any post on this site before today. And he gets no mention in Krebs's study of Soviet composers. Yet he seems to have been well-connected; the first symphony is dedicated to Mravinsky and the second to Shostakovich.

Slonimsky writes of him that his early music is harmonically akin to Prokofiev and Shostakovich, but that in later life he experimented with dodecophony. Which is true, but while the third symphony opens with a twelve-note row, the work is still given a key signature of A minor.

The recordings are all taken from radio broadcasts of live concerts, and if I mention that the broadcast of the first symphony dates from 1957, you can imagine how bad the sound quality is, especially in the louder passages. The later ones fare better and the last is even in stereo. All are conducted by Mravinsky.

It would be interesting if anyone were to take up his music today, and record modern performances. Given the uptake of interest in Weinberg in recent years, I don't see why not, and in fact, Weinberg is the composer I am most reminded of in listening to Salmanov. His symphonies are not in the formulaic Soviet model, and are worth hearing.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:17:37 am »

Gauk, you're talking about the Melodiya double-cd, I think.
His 2nd is also available on Audiophile Classics 528.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 02:45:33 pm »

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,577.0.html

I think that if you do a search for "Salmanov" on this site you will find a few other references to him.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:35:04 pm »

It seems the site search facility is unreliable, because I did try a search and it came up with no matches ... hmm, maybe it didn't search the whole site. Yes, it is the Melodiya set.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 05:29:37 pm »

It seems the site search facility is unreliable, because I did try a search and it came up with no matches ... hmm, maybe it didn't search the whole site. Yes, it is the Melodiya set.

Yes...to do a complete search one has to use the "Search" box on the home page (rather than for a specific forum).
Report Spam   Logged
Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 04:31:47 pm »

Salmanov's string quartet cycle is wonderful, and easily-available on CD/MP3:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2012/July12/Salmanov_Quartets_NFPMA99102.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Salmanov-Complete-String-Quartets-Vol/dp/B00BXBB5DQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1441380799&sr=1-2&keywords=salmanov+quartets

These quartets and a handful of other chamber works were, for a time, re-typeset and republished in post-1991 Russia and saw a smidgen of distribution elsewhere (e.g. a handful of college libraries in the States have copies of these volumes, but even Ruslania hasn't been able to restock them in a while).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: