The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:06:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

French music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French music  (Read 13690 times)
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »

Divertimento by Henri Barraud

ORTF, Cond. B Haitink
Radio Broadcast, Sept 13, 1964

From the collection of Karl Miller

Wikipedia
Henry Barraud (sometimes Henri) (23 April 1900 – 28 December 1997) was a French composer.

He was born in Bordeaux. He was a student of Louis Aubert at the Conservatoire de Paris, but in 1927 failed to graduate, apparently because of his refusal to follow orthodox methods. Along with Pierre-Octave Ferroud and Jean Rivier, he helped to form the society Triton for the wider distribution of contemporary music.

After the Liberation of Paris in 1944, he was named the Director of Paris Radio, and later, in 1948, of what later became ORTF, a position he held until his retirement in 1965.
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:35 am »

Jowcol,

For me: go on with the "dissonants". Jolivet is stil a composer who wrote many modern, but listenable/enjoyable music.
And as  stated before: not the method, but the sounds makes the music. My listening habit is from the romantics to the more modern composers and back.

So thanks

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »

Indeed. Thanks very much for the Jolivet. He's an endlessly fascinating composer.
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:12 pm »

Jowcol,

For me: go on with the "dissonants". Jolivet is stil a composer who wrote many modern, but listenable/enjoyable music.
And as  stated before: not the method, but the sounds makes the music. My listening habit is from the romantics to the more modern composers and back.

So thanks

Elroel

I don't plan on holding back on the "dissonant" composers- but I thought it may help to label those which some people may not want to download if they prefer more  tonal works.  (Actually, in some cases, I think it is more of a lack of melodic lines than dissonance or a lack of tonality that some don't care fore. )  My listening habits are all over the map, and much outside of "classical music.)  I just like instrumental music that accomplishes what it sets to to do.
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 01:30:52 am »

Whilst I might be disposed to argue whether Arthur Honegger was actually French or Swiss  ;D ;D  can I express my profound thanks for the upload of the Oratorio "Nicolas de Flue"-a work which, in all honesty, I had never even heard of :-[

How wonderful to get a new and substantial piece by a particularly fine composer :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 02:55:04 am »

Yes Mr. Dundonnell - isn't the ending simply magnificent!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 04:12:45 pm »

Never heard Honegger's "Nicolas de Flue". Just found its name in some book on French modern music. Quite unbelievable why is not (better) known. It's a georgeous work, and yes the ending is the absolute top!
Thanks for the upload

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 04:19:57 pm »

Music of Marcel Mihalovici

1. Scenes de Thesee
OTRF, Cond. J. Komives
Radio broadcast May, 18, 1968

2-4: Sinfonia Contata
D. Richardson (bar)
Choeurs + ORTF, cond. S. Baudo
Radio Broadcast April 19, 1967

The following is a repost of another work by Mihalovici from Unsung Composers

Aubade for Strings (Op. 89)
ORTF, Andre Girard, Cond.
Radio Broadcast

Wikipedia Bio

Marcel Mihalovici (Bucharest, 22 October 1898 – Paris, 12 August 1985) was a French composer born in Romania. He was discovered by George Enescu in Bucharest. He moved to Paris in 1919 (at age 21) to study under Vincent d'Indy. His works include his Sonata number 1 for violin and piano (1920), Mélusine opera (1920, libretto by Yvan Goll), his 1st string quartet (1923), 2nd string quartet (1931), Sonata number 2 for violin and piano (1941), Sonata for violin and cello (1944), Phèdre Opera (1949), Étude in two parts for piano and instrumental ensemble (1951) and Esercizio per archi (1960). Many of his piano works were first performed by his wife and renown concert pianist Monique Haas.

Mihalovici was the original composer for the music of Samuel Beckett's Cascando (1962). His Fifth Symphony features a soprano singing a setting of a Beckett poem, and he used Krapp's Last Tape as the basis for a small opera, Krapp, ou, La dernière bande. His memories of their friendship are recounted in the collected work Beckett at Sixty A Festschrift by John Calder, Calder and Boyars (1967).
Report Spam   Logged

cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 09:14:47 pm »

Never heard Honegger's "Nicolas de Flue". Just found its name in some book on French modern music. Quite unbelievable why is not (better) known. It's a georgeous work, and yes the ending is the absolute top!
Thanks for the upload

Elroel
Yes, definitely a winner, thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 05:42:29 am »

Thank you so much for the Mihalovici works. Recordings of his work are definitely few and far between. Thanks also for using the Wikipedia page I contributed to. I assembled that page's opus list a few years back and have slowly been trying to gather scores of his work ever since.
Report Spam   Logged
sensemayya
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 09:51:12 am »

Thank you!Mihailovici is a really UC,and his music is modernistic  but in a more modal language-the Thesee remindes  me a lot Enescu's Oedipe.Hope you have more Mihailovici in the vaults.I don't know if this should be here or in the Romanian section.
J
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 10:49:05 am »

Thank you!Mihailovici is a really UC,and his music is modernistic  but in a more modal language-the Thesee remindes  me a lot Enescu's Oedipe.Hope you have more Mihailovici in the vaults.I don't know if this should be here or in the Romanian section.
J

The Wiki page (see above) called him a French composer although Romanian by birth. 

I classified Tansman as Polish, even though he lived in France since he said he considered himself Polish even though he spoke French at home.  If we ever get a tagging system set up, we can classify a composer by more than one nationality.
Report Spam   Logged

Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 11:44:48 pm »

A few works by Poulenc. Not much dissonance here. Some charm, some humor, some beauty.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 08:13:40 pm »

Many thanks to rbert12 for his upload of Witkowski's "Mon Lac" :)! Being impressed by the disc of his dramatic, Franckian chamber music, I've been wanting to hear his orchestral music, which includes two symphonies ;D!
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 11:55:15 am »

Jean Francaix:  Music for 15 Soloists, Strings and Tympani (1988)

Vienna Symphony Orchestra
Georges Pretre, Conductor
Radio broadcast data unknown

Note- the third track has a IV in the title tag.  It should be a III.   
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: