The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:23:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are the most annoying things about modern composers?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the most annoying things about modern composers?  (Read 4424 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2017, 10:23:05 pm »

Here are two annoyances:

Composers who claim that nothing more can be done with tonality because so many composers have used it in the past, so that it is now exhausted. You might as well say that no more poetry can be written in English for the same reason. It just shows a lack of imagination.

Composers who claim to "reinvent musical language" with every new piece. For crying out loud!

On more reflection, I come to think about non tonal music as use of an expanded pallets.  Though most of my compositions are tonal I make an occasional foray to the 'dark side'

Chaos:  The Sedimentary Lines of the Grand Canyon
The expansion of "tonality" into areas that some might describe as "non-tonality" or "atonality" has only served to widen the expressive capabilities of music. I don't know why "atonlaity" - whatever that might mean to whomsoever - should be regarded as some kind of "dark side" as though this could and should be thought of as its only possible manifestation.

When I said, "Dark Side", I was being very tongue and cheek.    I have participated on other sites where anything but  conservative tonality was described by a couple of users as, "Disgusting".  When I suggested to them that They needed to get over the fact that Robert Schumann was dead, they weren't happy.  LOL
I imagine that I might just be able to guess one particular site to which you allude, but no names and all that...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: