The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:08:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Henk Badings

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henk Badings  (Read 1482 times)
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:39:22 pm »

The first spelling version is correct.
Dutch concertzender has archived a lot of their broadcast for listen again.
See here for the Badings programmes:
http://www.concertzender.nl/?s=badings
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »

Is the name pronounced BAH-dings  or BAY-dings?
What an amazing composer!
How and why have the Dutch hidden away H. Andriessen and Badings??  World-class, first rate artists both!

I have always pronounced it as "BAH-dings" but I may not be correct.

The unfortunate truth of the matter with Badings is that, within the Netherlands, his reputation was very badly (perhaps fatally ???) damaged because of his alleged collaboration with the Germans during their occupation of the country between 1940 and 1945. This resulted in effectively an almost complete boycotting of his music after the war. Although there have been some signs of a revival of interest in recent years I doubt whether he will ever be well-known to the Dutch concert-going public.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 01:05:00 am »

New? release
http://forgottenrecords.com/Krebbers-Olof-van-Oordt--van-Otterloo-Stotijn--Badings--1098.html
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 05:54:46 pm »

Wow!   I think I am now set with Badings.  There is nothing more I can say except if there's anything you may  ever need just ask.
Thank you again.
Part of the reason in the case of - indeed - BAH-dings is correctly given by Dundonnell, but a more general reason for the neglect of their generation lies in the poweful position in Dutch musical life of the '1968' generation led by - ironically - Andriessen's youngest son, and including names like Jan van Vlijmen, Reinbert de Leeuw, Peter Schat (initially, later he dissented) and others. Their 'revolt' resulted in a complete ban of the previous generation for decades, BTW not unlike what happened with the BBC and in other European countries.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: