The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:16:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sibelius's "Kullervo"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sibelius's "Kullervo"  (Read 1600 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:31:27 am »

I found that the link I provided to the Salonen performance had been replaced by "This video does not exist".

I have reinstored the link and it is currently working but......who knows?

Salonen is now 58 years of age. He was with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra from 1984-1995 and the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra from 1992-2009. He has been with the Philharmonia Orchestra in London since 2008 (although his present contract expires this year).

He took over the Swedish orchestra when he was only 26. I don't know when his performance of Kullervo was filmed but it has all the required ardour and the youthful conductor certainly supplied the ardour and the necessary conviction in the work. Although the cameraman spends maybe too much time on the conductor I am taken not only by Salonen's evident belief in the music but by his conducting style-the beautiful beat, the fluency of his movements and the "aristocratic grace" (if I may call it that) he brings to the podium. There are no vulgar and unnecessary histrionics.

As we know, Sibelius himself appears to have had little confidence or faith in his own early composition......so it becomes any conductor tackling the work to demonstrate that the composer was wrong. The conductor has to inspire soloists, chorus and orchestra with his own blazing conviction!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: