The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:01:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ten Forgotten American Masterpieces (Leonard Slatkin)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Forgotten American Masterpieces (Leonard Slatkin)  (Read 2949 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 07:40:29 am »

I am a compulsive list-maker  ;D but my lists are of a different sort (all the orchestral/choral compositions of hundreds upon hundreds of late 19th and 20th century composers).

I always recoil from lists of "the best...." and Slatkin's list rather falls into that category. It may be interesting and it may encourage others to produce their own lists or to query omissions but they are by definition personal opinions based on a combination of knowledge of the works included and of individual taste. If one feels that the symphonies of, say, Walter Piston or William Schuman or Peter Mennin, deserve to be heard more often (or indeed at all) then one is obliged by the constraints of "the ten......" to select "the best", "the most worthy" and I have never really seen the point of such an exercise.

I read a review on Musicweb the other day which asserted that Weinberg and Shostakovich were the two Russian symphonists of the 20th century who could truly described as "great". So...where does that leave, say, Prokofiev ??? And if one is asked "so, which is Shostakovich's greatest symphony?" it is possible, I suppose to narrow the choice down to three or four of the symphonies but what does it profit to go further than that ??? Nos. 8 and 10 are both masterpieces but I could not and would not wish to pick one ahead of the other.

Sorry....I ramble but you may get the gist ;D

And to omit Miaskovsky is a travesty..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: