The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:48:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ukrainian piano

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukrainian piano  (Read 292 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2015, 03:00:09 am »

http://www.ludmilakasjanenko.com/multimedia.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bobyor
Level 2

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 07:37:31 pm »

May I highjack this thread and try to stimulate discussion of Ukrainian piano repertoire?

There are quite a few Ukrainian composers who wrote some piano music: Revutsky, Kosenko, Lysenko, Lyatoshynsky, Huba, Shamo and Silvestrov are probably the most obvious examples. There is quite a lot of their music recorded. There is also a lot by a man called Hozenpud. Maybe Huba and Shamo are still not so known outside their country at the present time. Even in Ukraine, though, some of this repertoire is not well known, perhaps due to the conservatoire training being geared around very conventional repertoire and competitions. Once I played a prelude by Revutsky as an encore in Kiev; no-one (including Silvestrov) knew what it was, but it was well received.

It is interesting -- but perhaps really a side-issue -- to observe how many composers now regarded as Russian were born in what is now Ukraine. For example, the promotional text for my CD of piano music of Konstantin Eiges, describes him as a member of a Jewish family from Eastern Ukraine. Which while true now, does suggest he was Ukrainian, or at least would describe himself as such. I doubt this is the case, as he was brought up and lived in Moscow, and I know that his family still describe themselves as Russian. Also Mosolov, Blumenfeld, Feinberg and many others were born in this region and offer parallel examples.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:37:14 pm »

Sadly, the practice of ignoring "local talent" is not unique to Ukraine. Someone I know who studied at Latvia's national conservatory reported much the same -- in the course of studying violin, not a single work by a Latvian composer was taught as repertoire. The focus of the institution seems very much geared toward generic international standard repertoire. They certainly turn out fine musicians with the highest standards of training, but often with ignorance of their own musical culture.
Report Spam   Logged
Bobyor
Level 2

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:34:44 am »

Yes, it probably happens everywhere to a certain extent, especially in countries where their own composers aren't part of the over-played standard repertoire. Once I gave a presentation of my CD of Janis Medins in the conservatoire in Riga and everyone seemed very surprised that a non-Latvian had recorded it, while I was surprised that a Latvian *hadn't* recorded it!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: