The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:16:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Cowen and Sherwood from EM Records

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cowen and Sherwood from EM Records  (Read 1277 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:44:10 am »

Planned for next year: Symphony No.5 (1887) by Frederic Cowen (1852-1935) and the Double Concerto for violin, cello and orchestra (1907-8) by Percy Sherwood (1866-1939), John Andrews conducting the BBC Concert Orchestra.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1014933897/world-premiere-recording-of-sherwood-and-cowen-mas

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:57:52 am »

Excellent news, particularly about the Cowen! So little of him available on record.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:19:10 pm »

According to the linked site the project will only go ahead if £12,000 is raised by 18 July. So far a quarter of that sum has been raised. So there is a degree of uncertainty about the whole enterprise.

The problem with Cowen's music is that so much of it is lost. Of the six symphonies the first two are no longer extant (Nos. 3 and 6 have already been recorded). There are quite a few choral works but they are much less likely to be recorded for obvious financial reasons.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 05:00:18 pm »

So far a quarter of that sum has been raised. So there is a degree of uncertainty about the whole enterprise.

I have backed the project and would encourage others with an interest in British (or Anglo-German  ;D) music to also support it. This may increasingly become one of the ways in which recordings of more recherche repertoire are funded...
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 06:52:05 pm »

Looking forward to the Cowen. I'm quite fond of his Symphony 6.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 09:44:35 am »

Unfortunately, perhaps inevitably, the target wasn't reached but the amount pledged clearly shows a high level of commitment and hopefully will encourage John Andrews to press ahead with the project in the future ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1014933897/world-premiere-recording-of-sherwood-and-cowen-mas

::) :-\
Report Spam   Logged

Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 01:15:29 pm »

:'( all this uninteresting british stuff - where are the new Mahler, Bruckner, Sibelius, Shostakovich etc. cycles ?????????????

Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 03:18:20 pm »

:'( all this uninteresting british stuff - where are the new Mahler, Bruckner, Sibelius, Shostakovich etc. cycles ?????????????

Hehe. We need at least another four Beethoven cycles played on modern, future, period and faux-period instruments. Then there's always room for a few more Schumann cycles re-imagined respectively for piano seven-and-a-half-hands, kitchen utensils and swanee whistle.  Tchaikovsky No.1 and Grieg played by a blind-folded chimpanzee accompanied by Gergiev or Pappano and a top-flight orchestra would get my vote as well...

???
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 03:45:03 pm »

Indeed! Love them as much as I do (and I do!) the amount of new slants on Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. We've had all the period permutations,chamber versions,versions with pianos.........! Surely,they must have run out of permutations,by now?! Oh,and the latest recording of Dvorak's Ninth Symphony,that is (according to the critic) the best one ever! Really? If I had a pound for every time I've heard that one! A blind folded chimpanzee,though?! I would need proof,however...a dvd?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 09:04:14 pm »

Who exactly are all these immensely wealthy people who can afford to buy seemingly endless new recordings of Mahler symphonies ??? ???
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 06:40:17 pm »

Who exactly are all these immensely wealthy people who can afford to buy seemingly endless new recordings of Mahler symphonies Huh Huh

Likely the same ones who have been brainwashed into believing that their listening experience need not venture beyond some cultural consensus of what constitutes the "best" music or the "best" composers.
Report Spam   Logged
dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 04:09:29 am »

Hehe. We need at least another four Beethoven cycles played on modern, future, period and faux-period instruments. Then there's always room for a few more Schumann cycles re-imagined respectively for piano seven-and-a-half-hands, kitchen utensils and swanee whistle.  Tchaikovsky No.1 and Grieg played by a blind-folded chimpanzee accompanied by Gergiev or Pappano and a top-flight orchestra would get my vote as well...

???
You can always contribute to our fundraiser to record the first integral of Mahler symphonies on bagpipe orchestra. Our arranger, Max Richter, had to transpose them all into the key of B-flat, but I don't think anyone will begrudge us that liberty when they hear the strains of the Todtenfeier ringing out across the Scottish countryside, or the tasteful drum machine that now accompanies the 'Resurrection' chorus...

Our next project after that comes from eccentric old maestro Hans Apfelküchen who, after exhaustive study of the Bruckner symphonies, has concluded that the composer actually meant for them to be played approximately five times as slowly as they generally are. The first release in this series will be a 7-CD set containing the Symphony No. 6 (we regret that due to length the first, second and fourth movements had to be split across CDs) and a small quantity of cannabis.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 09:53:37 am »

Is this the most recent thread about this release? Can't seem to find another. Anyway, I've been loving both works. Has anyone else noticed a resemblance between the dominant theme of the 1st movement (which appears elsewhere) and "When you wish upon a star" from Pinocchio?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 10:58:48 am »

I should say that I did buy the cd to support the company's enterprise The music is certainly pleasant and enjoyable. As you know my tastes run more towards the mid-20th century so I am not going to pretend that it is music which really bowls me over. On the other hand I recognise its appeal to others and applaud the fact that it has been rescued from oblivion 
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »

Sad that the only way unsung composers works can get recorded and in the market is thru funding in this manner.... at least the listeners have a mechanism to make this happen!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: