The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:23:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Russian and Soviet Music

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian and Soviet Music  (Read 22990 times)
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 07:56:12 pm »

Listening to the lovely ballet suite by  G. Grigorian - do we have a first name for him for my 'records' ? Googled without any obvious success !

"G." is "Grant", or sometimes in the Armenian version "Hrant". Born in 1919, died in 1961. The Suite dates from 1961, the Violin Concerto from 1954. Hope this helps!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 08:01:41 pm »

I LOVED the Brusilovsky works.  Would love to have the 4th symphony if you can post it.  Also, would love to hear other works by him or anything else in that style.  These works made my day!  Thanks, Malito

Heartily seconded :)

Brusilovsky is emphatically NOT your average run-of-the-mill Soviet composer :)

...no, I'm not saying that most Soviet composers are run-of-the-mill, but there are a few who are (no names!) ;D

I also enjoyed the Grigorian works. Here's a (partial) worklist, which reveals that he composed a symphony as well: http://russiancomposers.org.uk/page522.html
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 09:15:27 pm »

Listening to the lovely ballet suite by  G. Grigorian - do we have a first name for him for my 'records' ? Googled without any obvious success !

"G." is "Grant", or sometimes in the Armenian version "Hrant". Born in 1919, died in 1961. The Suite dates from 1961, the Violin Concerto from 1954. Hope this helps!
Yup - ideal, thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2013, 10:06:40 pm »

Adding to Holger's insightful comment, here is the link to Michael Herman's list of "RUSSIAN, SOVIET AND POST-SOVIET CONCERTOS" with some biographical information:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/Russian_and_Soviet_Discography/RUSSIAN_AND_SOVIET_CONCERTOS_1.htm#GRIGORIAN
Report Spam   Logged
Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2013, 10:17:48 pm »

Thanks for the Grigorian record (listening to the very 'wilderness-y' sounding concerto right now :) ). I don't know much of his work aside from a folksy set of 25 piano preludes he composed, but I like what I'm hearing here.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2013, 04:24:47 pm »

and what are his dates?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 05:38:07 pm »

1919-1961.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2013, 06:40:30 pm »

Yevgeni Stankovich(1942-):
Symphony No.6 "Dictum" for small orchestra(1987):
National Symphony Orchestra of the Ukraine(Volodymyr Sirenko)

Thanks, Colin, for uploading this!

The composer's name is more correctly transliterated as Yevhen Stankovych. During the years of the USSR, the Russian-speaking majority "Russified" all manner of names, places, etc., in the various constituent "republics." Some examples: in Latvia, "Kalnins" became Kalnin or Kalnyn. In Belarus, "Hlebau" became Glebov. In Azerbaijan "Hajibeyov" became Gadzhibekov. And on and on... What many folks don't realize is that when names such as these were transliterated into Russian, all too often these names were then further transliterated into English from the Russian, rather than going back to the original languages (Ukrainian, Latvian, etc.).

Anyway, I don't raise this issue to be petty or anal, and I don't fault you, Colin, or anyone else on this board. Goodness knows, it's taken me a while to catch on to some misspellings (or mistranslations, or mistransliterations, whatever the case may be) as well. I just feel the need to raise this issue periodically to keep everyone aware of the pitfalls of USSR-era nomenclature.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2013, 07:07:05 pm »

Anyway, I don't raise this issue to be petty or anal, and I don't fault you, Colin, or anyone else on this board. Goodness knows, it's taken me a while to catch on to some misspellings (or mistranslations, or mistransliterations, whatever the case may be) as well. I just feel the need to raise this issue periodically to keep everyone aware of the pitfalls of USSR-era nomenclature.

Completely correct! Many errors have crept in over the years - it would be timely to catch and correct them when possible, without it becoming a witch-hunt ;)

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2013, 08:14:30 pm »

Thanks from me as well, Colin, for the Stankovych piece :) His music is quite powerful, intense and haunting, especially the three symphonies on this Marco Polo disc, which I recommend highly:

:)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2013, 12:24:23 am »

Thank you :)

I shall amend my catalogues accordingly.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2013, 04:21:41 pm »

I have posted links to four symphonies by Alexander Lokshin-Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 8

These symphonies do not appear to have made it to cd.
Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2013, 11:48:49 pm »

Thanks for the Stankovych Symphony but it is not the National Symphony Orchestra of the Ukraine but the National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine. You would not say The National Symphony Orchestra of the France or the England, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2013, 12:31:21 am »

I stand corrected. The use of the term "The Ukraine" ceased when the republic ceased to be a constituent part of the USSR in 1991.
Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2013, 02:05:26 am »

Thanks, Colin, I was unaware when the change took place.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: