The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:24:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Russian and Soviet Music

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian and Soviet Music  (Read 22994 times)
Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:56 pm »

Again, for me, the purpose is being able to find their scores, most of which were published in Moscow. If I were putting out a release, I would encourage using their native language name.
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 08:14:15 pm »

Maybe it is good to give different spellings possible in parenthesis or something ?

I think it could help in some situations. Maybe in next edition one could use only one way or something?
It is difficult to presict the future, but there is great potential for confusion. Or may be it different spelling could be in the small script under?
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 09:08:39 pm »

Maybe it is good to give different spellings possible in parenthesis or something ?

I think it could help in some situations. Maybe in next edition one could use only one way or something?
It is difficult to presict the future, but there is great potential for confusion. Or may be it different spelling could be in the small script under?

Indeed. I usually try to list spellings I encounter, as for instance here:
http://ttle.perso.neuf.fr/Symphonies/symphonistes_a-d.htm
and be consistent in the "preferred choice" (which should be self-evident when the language is originally written with Latin characters) but, to be honest, one cannot always keep track of all possible variants.
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 03:05:30 pm »

Sergei Slonimsky:

Symphony No.32(2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?y2ig8e07g8gi3f0

The conductor is Vladimir Jurowski. I am not sure of the orchestra....perhaps you know ???

Radio Broadcast

If this is the premiere performance, then the orchestra must be the Symphony Orchestra of the Mikhailovsky Theatre:
http://www.worldconcerthall.com/en/schedule/slonimskys_80th_anniversary_with_a_world_premiere_from_st_petersburg/4579/
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2012, 03:43:59 pm »

Thank you for Bortkewicz, sobral

I am listening to the Rhapsody now.  It is interesting from historical point of view to know that composers were writing in such diverse styles  at approximately the same years .
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 05:17:45 pm »

Many thanks to sobral for his upload of Bortkiewicz's Russian Rhapsody :) :)! It is a piece I
have longed to hear for quite a while :).
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2012, 04:00:46 pm »

Many thanks Sobral for Bortkiewicz's Russian Rhapsody! That piece has been number one on my wishlist ever since I heard Bhagwan Thadani's synthesized version.  It's a very exciting piece.

The Chernigiv Orchestra under Sukach tend to put out Bortkiewicz pieces in batches, so does this indicate that they have also released some other Bortkiewicz works?

I can't find any kind of website for them....
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2012, 09:08:25 pm »

Thank you, Elroel, for Ovchinnikov's Symphony no. 1 and Suite no. 6 for orchestra :) :)!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2012, 08:41:37 pm »

Thank you, rkhenderson, for the Shtoharenko Divertimento :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Sir-Disco
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:06 pm »

Thank you, Christopher.
Good job!
I was hunting this soundtrack past 2 weeks to no avail.

Could you please give me the description of the movie packaging itself, so I can identify the version with Nikolai Kryukov score?
The version available that can be identify with its score is the last version with the original score restore in 2011. But the other presiding versions don't tell much and I know that many just use three symphonies of Dmitri Shostakovich with No. 5 beginning and ending.
Any information in the cover of the movie you have ripped from could help me a lot.

Thank you very much for everything.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »

Thank you, Christopher.
Good job!
I was hunting this soundtrack past 2 weeks to no avail.

Could you please give me the description of the movie packaging itself, so I can identify the version with Nikolai Kryukov score?
The version available that can be identify with its score is the last version with the original score restore in 2011. But the other presiding versions don't tell much and I know that many just use three symphonies of Dmitri Shostakovich with No. 5 beginning and ending.
Any information in the cover of the movie you have ripped from could help me a lot.

Thank you very much for everything.

I am glad you enjoy it - it's a great piece isn't it, very dramatic!   The cover looks like the one shown here - http://www.amazon.com/Battleship-Potemkin-The-Special-Edition/dp/B000V7HFL4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1 - but you should still check it contains the Kryukov soundtrack and not just the Meisl.

See also  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0473053/

If you like Kryukov, do you know if there is an CD of his music?  I ripped the main tunes (Lullaby) from the Soviet movie Podkidysh and it's beautiful, so I am guessing his other music is worth exploration.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 08:09:57 pm »

Many thanks, Maris, for the three Brusilovsky pieces :) :)

FYI Symphony no. 6's full subtitle is On a Theme of Kurmangazy.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 10:58:39 pm »

Many thanks, Maris, for the three Brusilovsky pieces Smiley Smiley

I'll be interested to read what you think of them after listening!
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2013, 06:23:07 pm »

I LOVED the Brusilovsky works.  Would love to have the 4th symphony if you can post it.  Also, would love to hear other works by him or anything else in that style.  These works made my day!  Thanks, Malito
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2013, 07:19:05 pm »

Listening to the lovely ballet suite by  G. Grigorian - do we have a first name for him for my 'records' ? Googled without any obvious success !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: