The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:38:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Russian and Soviet Music

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian and Soviet Music  (Read 23069 times)
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2014, 11:45:46 pm »

Thanks, Christopher, for uploading the excerpts from Dobrynya Nikitich. I have a similar selection of excerpts performed and broadcast around Grechaninovs 125th birthday. I didn't know about this recording.
You didn't upload the Dances (No 20). Did you miss it or have they probably been released commercially?
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2014, 12:06:53 am »

Thanks, Christopher, for uploading the excerpts from Dobrynya Nikitich. I have a similar selection of excerpts performed and broadcast around Grechaninovs 125th birthday. I didn't know about this recording.
You didn't upload the Dances (No 20). Did you miss it or have they probably been released commercially?

Have another look.... Which recording do you have?  Do you know if the complete opera has been recorded?
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2014, 12:33:01 am »

Ah, thanks! You changed the whole contents of the folder?

My recording is from a live concert to celebrate the 125th birthday of the composer. The conductor was the same, Andropov, also the soloist Raisa Kotova.
It's a German broadcast of a Russian Concert, so the announcements are in German and it's difficult for me to transcribe the Russian names of the performers in written English.
Perhaps I can compare both recordings later this week. Probably these are the same excerpts. My recording takes nearly 39 minutes.

A while ago I listened to another version at classical-music-online.net but the orchestra consisted of some kind of folk instruments or so concducted by Georgy Doniyakh. It took nearly an hour.

Sorry, I don't know if a complete recording exists.
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2014, 11:31:44 am »

I have now compared our recordings. Apart from a re-ordering of the dances and the omission of the last number (III. Act Dobrynyas Song) my recording has the same excerpts as yours.
Also the tempi differ somewhat.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2014, 02:40:30 pm »

Shaporin's "The Battle for Russia" comes in at 79:56 and my CD-R will not take the whole download. Is there a way to shave a few seconds off so the work will fit on one CD or to divide it between two CDs?

I have now split this into its 10 constituent tracks. Enjoy.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2014, 10:46:29 am »

Some of the music from MELODIYA LPs which I have recently posted up is by the Soviet composer Isaak Dunayevsky (1900-1955).  Most of his music falls into the light music category.  Some however could fairly be regarded as crossing the line over into jazz.  But I decided to post the LPs as they are with all their pieces, whichever category the different pieces might fall into.

Given that he was writing in the USSR's darkest decades (20s, 30s, 40s and early 50s), it's a wonder that he was able to write such light music.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2014, 09:29:00 am »

Some information on Gotfrid Hasanov, whose Piano Concerto No.1 I posted yesterday below.  He also has Wikipedia pages in English, Russian and German.

http://memim.com/gotfrid-hasanov.html

Gotfrid Alidin chwa Gasanov (Russian Готфрид Алиевич Гасанов; born May 1, 1900 in Derbent, † May 28, 1965 in Moscow) was a Soviet musician and composer lesginischer origin.

Gasanov was born on 1 May 1900 in Derbent, his father was Lesgine, his mother German. In 1926 he joined the Leningrad Conservatory in piano and composition. In the same year he taught in Bujnaksk in Dagestan, the first music school. He taught piano in Makhachkala, Samara and Leningrad, and gave solo concerts. 1935 to 1938 and again from 1947 to 1953 he was artistic director of the Song and Dance Ensemble of the Republic of Dagestan; 1943-1947 he was head of the music division of the kumükischen musical theater.

Gasanov regarded as the founder of professional music in Dagestan, he composed numerous Dagestani operas, ballets and musical comedies. The music school in Makhachkala bears his name.

Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2014, 03:22:44 pm »

Some information on Gotfrid Hasanov, whose Piano Concerto No.1 I posted yesterday below.  He also has Wikipedia pages in English, Russian and German.

Gotfrid Alidin chwa Gasanov (Russian Готфрид Алиевич Гасанов; born May 1, 1900 in Derbent, † May 28, 1965 in Moscow) was a Soviet musician and composer lesginischer origin.

Gasanov was born on 1 May 1900 in Derbent, his father was Lesgine, his mother German. In 1926 he joined the Leningrad Conservatory in piano and composition. In the same year he taught in Bujnaksk in Dagestan, the first music school. He taught piano in Makhachkala, Samara and Leningrad, and gave solo concerts. 1935 to 1938 and again from 1947 to 1953 he was artistic director of the Song and Dance Ensemble of the Republic of Dagestan; 1943-1947 he was head of the music division of the kumükischen musical theater.

Gasanov regarded as the founder of professional music in Dagestan, he composed numerous Dagestani operas, ballets and musical comedies. The music school in Makhachkala bears his name.

His music is also on CD at http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/music/AudioPages/CMA/cma_contents.html
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2014, 03:24:46 pm »

His music is also on CD at http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/music/AudioPages/CMA/cma_contents.html

This CD collection is a great survey of the music from Azerbaijan.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2014, 03:40:43 pm »

Is it?  I don't see it on the list shown there....
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2014, 08:42:53 pm »

uggh... let me find it.. I purchased a copy back in 2001 from this website.  It was a new recording of the Az Sym Orch.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2014, 09:25:59 pm »

Given that he was writing in the USSR's darkest decades (20s, 30s, 40s and early 50s), it's a wonder that he was able to write such light music.

Some would also see exactly the same scenario as being exactly the reason he wrote such light music ;)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2014, 07:53:55 pm »

uggh... let me find it.. I purchased a copy back in 2001 from this website.  It was a new recording of the Az Sym Orch.

Here is the review of the CD:  http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2003/May03/Badalbeyli_piano.htm
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2014, 07:57:59 pm »

This CD came out in 2004. I believe I bought it after reading this review in musicweb:

Gotfrid HASANOV
Piano Concerto [27.40]
Farhad Badalbeyli (piano)
BP&TV SO/Ramiz Melik-Aslanov

the jacket says it is printed by Sony in the EU.  Farhad Badalbeli "My Piano"

Read more: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2003/May03/Badalbeyli_piano.htm#ixzz3JpSqHdkb
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2014, 08:01:07 pm »

This CD came out in 2004. I believe I bought it after reading this review in musicweb:

Gotfrid HASANOV
Piano Concerto [27.40]
Farhad Badalbeyli (piano)
BP&TV SO/Ramiz Melik-Aslanov

the jacket says it is printed by Sony in the EU.  Farhad Badalbeli "My Piano"

Read more: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2003/May03/Badalbeyli_piano.htm#ixzz3JpSqHdkb

Here is the link to buy the CD:
http://azer.com/aiweb/categories/music/AudioPages/Badalbeyli/badalbeyli.html

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: