The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:07:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Russian and Soviet Music

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian and Soviet Music  (Read 23090 times)
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2014, 09:33:58 am »

Hi all,

if you do a Google search in Russian you will find more on Terentiev. There is this site, for instance:
http://www.kino-teatr.ru/kino/composer/sov/248532/bio/
It tells us Terentiev was born in 1913 and died in 1989. It just lists one symphony and gives 1985 as a date. I am pretty sure this will be the one we have - I am just giving it a listen and this doesn't sound like Soviet music from the 1930s or so, it rather has something filmic. By the way, this recording cannot come from an early 78 - it's clearly stereo!

As for who Karl Miller is, he is another collector of music with an extensive collection. I am also exchanging music with him myself, and in fact, I only recently asked him for quite a batch of music including symphonies by Eklund, Lundquist, Terentiev, Trojahn and others. I am still waiting for the parcel as the delivery from the US to Germany seems to take quite some time once again, however it seems he also forwarded copies to jowcol, so that I can already enjoy the music now (while still awaiting the arrival of my own copies)...
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2014, 11:33:15 am »

One more remark about this recording: the conductor must by Vassily Sinaisky. He was chief conductor of the Latvian National Symphony Orchestra for quite a long time (1976–89).

I checked several Russian sources again. Actually, most of them do list only one symphony but some say it was composed in 1937, others say in 1985. Of course, there is no perfect evidence about what is correct after all. There might be two symphonies as Lee's Russian Composers site suggests (maybe a kind of early study symphony) or there might be just one symphony (one possibility would be a later revision of an early work) - but what I do believe is (as I already stated above) that the work we hear in our recording is not from 1937, it is just not in the overall spirit of Soviet symphonies of that time.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2014, 01:15:25 pm »

my source was Dr Ho and Feofanov 
Report Spam   Logged
Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2014, 09:20:58 pm »

Boris Terentiev is listed on Classical Music Archive as living 1913-1979. Obviously, if those dates are correct, the symphony could not possibly have been composed in 1985.

There are 7 additional pieces by him available there, including a couple of chamber music pieces. However, I'm not a paying member of the site, so I cannot comment on their quality.

http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Terentiev/4906

Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2014, 07:49:18 am »

Thanks for your hint, Amphissa, which lead me into some further research. I had never read the 1979 date anywhere before and actually, I have found out that it is definitely an error. Besides several articles / data base entries which always give 1989 as year of death, there is even a photo of Terentiev's tombstone online which finally proves 1989:
http://moscow-tombs.ru/1989/terentyev_bm.htm

So I remain pretty much convinced the symphony is from 1985. I am not a paying member of the Classical Music site either (yet), but I guess the pieces they offer should be quite small in scope. Actually, from all I read Terentiev should have composed quite a large amount of music of lighter fashion. He is certainly no major figure in Soviet music but I find it pretty interesting also to have the chance to check what more obscure composers like him did.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:34 am »

I am not a paying member of the Classical Music site either (yet), but I guess the pieces they offer should be quite small in scope.

Best $20-odd I've spent in a long time, gentlemen, with 500 or so downloads so far to show for it !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2014, 03:03:14 pm »

Fully agree with mr C. It is worth the money, and I may have told this before: they even answer some questions of mine.
So Holger, I think you should consider paying them. It's worth it.
No symphony of Terentiev there though. Listening to the sympphony now, it think Holger is right about the timing. Definitely no 1930's work, or a work of a 24 years old composer.

The tombstone is pretty much convincing to.

On 'Music online' site, the info is given by the uploader. He or she must have made a typing error. I'll ask Onno van Rijen (of Soviet Composers-site) if he perhaps has more info. He is reasonably well informed.
On ttle's listing (from earlier this year) no: Terentiev symphony is mentioned.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2014, 05:19:22 am »

http://www.crotchet.co.uk/multibuy-5008.html?utm_source=1406e&utm_medium=email

expanded catalogue of Melodiya from Crotchet.
Report Spam   Logged
Amphissa
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2014, 04:46:29 am »

Uploaded a new performance of Myaskovsky's 4th Symphony.

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2014, 06:23:30 pm »

Nice to know his symphonies aren't totally forgotten in the concert hall.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2014, 11:10:16 pm »

Nice to know his symphonies aren't totally forgotten in the concert hall.
No 4 is a strange piece with a strange dissonant theme oft repeated..was a rarity till Svetlanov did it..Mia is my favorite composer..
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2014, 11:29:31 am »

One of my favourites also. Back in the old days hearing any of his work was very difficult. Then I happened to be browsing a music shop in Sapporo and what should I see but a box set of the complete symphonies! This was exciting, but I was travelling light at the time and carrying it would be difficult. So, I reasoned, it was enough to know such a thing had been released; once I got home I could order it up. Then once I did get home, there was no sign of it! I could not find any trace of the set ever having been released, yet I had seen it.

Of course, eventually it did beome available in Europe, but that was some years later.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2014, 12:26:37 am »

Anyone here yet acquired Gregor Tassie's recently issued 400+ page biography "Nikolay Myaskovsky: The Conscence of Russian Music"?  Wished for a work like this for many years, but so pricey I've delayed purchasing somewhat longer than I otherwise would have.  Unlike Shostakovich and Prokofiev,  Miaskovsky has always been a rather taciturn and mysterious figure, without a bold public profile, and about whose personal life little seemed apparently known.  Hoping Tassie's study might part the curtain a bit and offer insights.  It's rumored one of the photos even shows Miaskovsky with a smile.
Report Spam   Logged
Amphissa
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2014, 08:12:26 pm »

Yes, Tassie's book really is expensive. I am hoping for a paperback edition that I can afford.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2014, 04:36:39 am »

Nikolai Myaskovsky
Symphony No. 4 in E Minor, op. 17

Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra
Valery Gergiev, conductor

Doelen Concert Hall, Rotterdam

14 September 2014

https://www.mediafire.com/?v1tp9j76mrlxnxn

Mia's 4th was one of his most neglected pieces and for a long while was unavailable until Svetlanov did it as part of the entite cycle for Warner.
It has a simple, eerie recurring theme which will linger in the mind long after the music is done.
I'm very eager to hear how the Dutch in Rotterdam do it..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: