The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:19:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Atterberg/Jarvi?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atterberg/Jarvi?  (Read 475 times)
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:49:17 pm »

I was really looking forward to the new cycle of Atterberg symphonies from Neeme Järvi / Chandos, thinking it might finally put this superb composer on the map....but two discs in, I'm a bit concerned. While Jarvi has made many outstanding recordings, he has also sometimes had a tendency to rushed, somewhat superficial performances - think of Kullervo, for Bis - and I'm worried that that's the case here. It's not necessarily a simple question of short timings and swift tempi - there might be a case for swifter than accustomed tempi to be made - but it doesn't appear to have been made here. It feels as if either conductor nor orchestra seems to be either really feeling or to have particularly thought through the music; with under-characterized phrasing, wayward gear changes and sometimes shaky ensemble these feel like efficient read-throughs rather than properly considered performances, and have the effect of undermining the symphonic thinking behind the works. Listening to the new recording of the 2nd Symphony I found myself thinking "maybe this isn't actually a very good symphony?"...until I went back and listened to earlier, more considered performances, which give the music its true heft and weight. It may be that in time I'll get the hang of what Jarvi is doing, but for now I rather fear this cycle may actually damage rather than boost Atterberg's reputation...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:54:35 pm »

Your feelings are precisely mirrored in this thread-

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3344.0.html
Report Spam   Logged
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:34:02 pm »

Ooops - how did I miss that? (Could have saved myself some money if I had.) Still, good to know it's not just me...
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:36 am »

I like the Jarvi recordings of symphonies 2 and 8; the former has a much greater urgency than the alternatives (CPO, Swedish Discofil), both of which I enjoy too. I think that Jarvi's approach to both works is a valid one and I have played this CD much more than the other versions. For me Symphony No 2 emerges as a greater work than before. I find that Jarvi is often underrated and, for example, I enjoy his much criticised Chandos recording of Copland's Third Symphony and Roy Harris's Symphony No 3. I fully respect and understand the criticisms of his Atterberg recording, although I do not share them.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:30:49 am »

Any thoughts on Jarvi's Prokofiev cycle? I admire his choice of music, but I think some of it lacks passion and fire. He may simply be doing too many things from too wide a spectrum to do well on all of it.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 10:29:36 am »

I find the Atterberg/Jarvi cycle absolutely superb.
Chandos will be releasing Volume 4 (Symphonies 3 & 7) early in 2016.
The sales of the set are fantastic  by the way.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 09:28:02 pm »

Your feelings are precisely mirrored in this thread-

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3344.0.html
I concur completely..Atterberg is already on the map with fine performances. Unless you work for Chandos, this was unneeded..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: