The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:52:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Welcome

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 5896 times)
SBookman
Level 3

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:24 pm »

But, Gentlemen, there is no downloading from GMG.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2012, 11:32:44 pm »

I joined GMG about five years ago and, for two years, was a very active member in the Composers Forum section (I largely ignored the rest ;D). Then I took a year off to write a book. When I returned I was-I shall confess this-a tad annoyed, at times, by the way in which threads could go off on tangents for pages and very upset by a series of increasingly abusive public and private messages from a member who accused me of orchestrating a campaign to denigrate atonal music by promoting and pushing mediocre tonal symphonists of the 20th century ::)

Then, last September, I discovered UC and moved all my efforts and contributions to that site.......and the rest is History ::) ::) ;D

So, now, I am happy here :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 12:08:14 am »

My goodness, Colin, you have been treated undeservedly rude in more than one place :o! That is just terrible >:(! It's rather ironic that you got criticized at UC for being too radical, but at GMG you got criticized for being too conservative :o! No love for the conservative 20th century composers and their admirers, I guess :(. Being the kind, knowledgeable, and hardworking person that you are, I can't imagine why anyone, anywhere, anytime would have anything against you! Thank goodness you and so many others have a safe, happy home here :) :) :).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2012, 12:29:29 am »

My goodness, Colin, you have been treated undeservedly rude in more than one place :o! That is just terrible >:(! Being the kind, knowledgeable, and hardworking person that you are, I can't imagine why anyone, anywhere, anytime would have anything against you! Thank goodness you and so many others have a safe, happy home here :) :) :).

Sadly, a love of Music does bring together people of all sorts and a tiny handful of these people use website forums to try to prove a point by being gratuitously offensive.
It IS only a tiny, tiny minority but when people are unnecessarily rude and unfairly offensive then it is hurtful. Things can be written, diagreements or criticisms made in a manner which is courteous, polite and reasonable.........and THAT is how it should be :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 12:38:15 am »

Amen to that, Colin :)!
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2012, 02:15:16 am »

I am definitely too old for the army!   The names I recognize on this site have been so very helpful to me. Kaminski, Braunfels etc.  It feels very comfortable to be here.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2012, 12:17:25 pm »

I'm too old for the army,too! ;D Regarding Dundonnell's experience at the GMG. I had a similar,but not quite so vicious experience at the old,now defunct,Radio 3 forum. All I did was say I couldn't understand the neglect of a certain British composer (who was once very prominent at the BBC! You may know who I mean!). This resulted in a series of very unpleasant posts by another member....and I MEAN unpleasant! I left shortly afterwards. Besides the petty bickering between pro tonal & pro progressive type composers was getting to me,so I was thinking of leaving,anyway! I love music & while I don't particularly like atonal,or supposedly progressive composers,like the ones that tend to be favoured on R3;I don't have a problem with people enjoying them & it's certainly not worth getting worked up about. Life's too short! Anyway,like Dundonnell,I believe you can politely agree to disagree!
  As to the GMG. Personally,I have been very happy 'there',but maybe I'm just lucky....at least,so far! I find most of the people pleasant there and,unlike Dundonnell,I rather like the way threads meander. Like a good conversation,if it's too rigid it tends to stale! Having said that,I agree,you do need some kind of focus! But not people jumping in every five minutes & telling you what you should & shouldn't talk about,and even going so far as to close a thread,because they don't seem to like the direction in which a topic is going. That's equally annoying! I also tend to avoid posting replies to anyone who I have identified as crabby or argumentative;which tends to help! ;D
  Regarding downloads at the GMG. There is no 'official' download section at the GMG,but it is quite possible for a member to provide a download & I have personally received quite allot there.
  I must admit I DO have a particular partiality for the Havergal Brian thread! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2012, 01:04:04 pm »

not quite so vicious experience at the old,now defunct,Radio 3 forum.

It's a pity those boards were closed down - because the BBC ought to (in theory) have brought authority, credibility and balance to discussions, and followed through on its long-forgotten Charter duty to 'educate and inform'. However, the present R3 Controller sees himself more as a kind of superior disc-jockey?

Although the BBC R3 Boards attracted a broad spectrum of enthusiasts, practitioners, critics and experts, they were moderated with obtuse regulations that applied to everything the BBC did. For example, although the rule about "no foreign words" had originally been intended to prevent abuse by minority groups - or even terrorists, allegedly - it descended into ridicule when applied to classical music. I had a post deleted because it included the word "Götterdämerung', for example. The titles of several French operas were similarly deleted - along with the entire posts that had gone with them. In reality a small aggrieved minority of people - some of whom who had already been banned - used this ruling as a means to 'report' posts by people they disliked, and thus have those people eventually banned for 'continuous rule-breaking'.

Thankfully no such daftness clouds our discussions here! :)

The R3 boards did have at least three illegitimate children. The so-called "Music & Society" forum degenerated into a fight over who was the most Marxist member, and was eventually closed-down by its own owners. The 'R3ok" forum is a place for crossword puzzles, gardening tips and cat-basket advice, along with a place where members can relate their private woes ("the fuse went", "my bus service has been curtailed") and expect sorrowful commiserations. Finally there is a forum which claims - with no justification whatsoever - to be the 'official' Radio 3 Forum, but neatly avoids using any BBC logos and is not associated with the BBC in any way. Its principle aim is to have the Breakfast programme on R3 closed-down, have all the presenters sacked, and have 'announcers' in black dinner-jackets reinstated. The Chief Moderator wants to have all 50 of Haydn's operas (hello?) played more regularly.
Report Spam   Logged
markniew
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2012, 09:48:43 pm »

Hi to all, and especially those known from the UC.

I can also understand the decision of UC administrators however personally I do not limit myself to Romantic music, even understood very wide. So I am here

Marek
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:32 pm »

Hi Marek,

Nice to see you here :)

You will see that I have posted a number of orchestral catalogues of Polish composers(Bacewicz, Baird, Karlowicz, Kilar, Maklakiewicz, Malawski, Nowowiejsji, Panufnik, Serocki, Sikorksi, Szeligowski and Tansman) since we last me elsewhere.

If you are able-anytime-to have a look at these and point out errors I would be most grateful :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2012, 03:14:20 am »

I, too, would like to welcome Marek to the forum. His great knowledge of Polish music will be of great help to all of us :)!
Report Spam   Logged
markniew
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2012, 07:37:34 pm »

Hello Colleagues,

In fact I liked the UC in its previous shape and got many interesting music from them. Now with their new old policy the forum is - for me - not so intriguing.
I intend to continue uploading some Polish music here.

Hi Dundonnell,

Thank you for the catalogues of the Polish orchestral music. I will go through them and am quite sure that you have done this work perfevtly. If I find thet something has to be added I will let you know.

Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2012, 11:40:12 am »

Hi to all, and especially those known from the UC.

I can also understand the decision of UC administrators however personally I do not limit myself to Romantic music, even understood very wide. So I am here

Marek

Very happy to see you here.  I have enjoyed your posts at UC.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Jim
Level 2

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »

Greetings. Albion's British Music catalogue brought me here - a great piece of work. For months I was frustrated with mediafire uploads failing, then when it began working the remit on UC had changed. Already I notice many familiar names and feel I am amongst kindred spirits once again.
Jim
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2012, 08:02:39 pm »

Welcome, Jim :)!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: