The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:49:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Welcome

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 5899 times)
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:26:43 am »

Hello Administrator(s),

I was very pleased to find this forum after the, in my eyes, disastrous changes at 'Unsung Composers'.
i'm sure, in due time, I will find many of my friends from that forum here. I hope that this will be as exciting as I found 'UC'. Hopefully we can mantain the good taste as I got used to.
Only one more wish: please restrict advertising as much as possible.

Best wishes for this forum,

With respect

Elroel

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:19:43 am »

. . . Only one more wish: please restrict advertising as much as possible. . . .

Many thanks for your message Elroel! Actually your point about advertising surprised me, because I never ever see any advertising here!

I've done some experimenting just now, and it has something to do with the way my HOSTS file is set up. I will find out the exact details for you (and others) and post them tomorrow. For now I can say that the probable reason appears to be that I have set the address of "ib.adnxs.com" to 127.0.0.1 in my HOSTS file.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:38:27 pm »

Dear 'Administration'.
Right - found you ! Great for me...probably less so for everyone else.
Have loved UC, & hopefully will still find lots of interest there, but have been increasingly enjoying the slightly 'edgier' works which it seems will still be accommodated here. I look forward to increasing my knowledge of such music, &, it appears, many other 'art' topics besides.
Many thanks indeed to you, and to all your uploaders/contributors !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:09:30 pm »

Welcome to both Elroel and cjvinthechair - and indeed to all others who have joined us recently!

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:34:08 pm »

but have been increasingly enjoying the slightly 'edgier' works which it seems will still be accommodated here.

I believe you'll find like-minded people here :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:02 pm »

Many friends are clearly already here - what a pleasant surprise!

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:06 pm »

Great to see you all here. The first downloads of unsung music have already been noted, with delight. ;)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Christo
Level 4

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »

Interestingly enough, one of the moderators of another forum (UC, some of us will know it  ;)) today identified it to be all about
predominantly consonant, tuneful, beautiful music.

I find that a remarkable and completely different - from the strict Romanticism norm they recently restricted the forum to - criterion, that would include most composers now banned there. My own first association would be with Ralph Vaughan Williams, ;) but indeed most 'modern' composers would apply. I hope to learn more about them here, just as I hope to learn more about earlier composers of any period.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 04:58:44 am »

Hello to all :)

I suspect that those of you who know what has happened over at Unsung Composers and, specifically, the fact that I was summarily banned from that forum after eleven months of-I sincerely hope and believe-useful contributions to that forum will not be at all surprised to see me joining this forum ;D

It will be fantastic to continue our friendships and our mutual respect for musical tastes which, though they may differ in specifics, are linked together by a common love of Music as one of the greatest (if not the greatest) of art forms.

Dundonnell.
Report Spam   Logged
Balapoel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 07:24:30 am »

Good to see some old faces (so to speak). I will participate with interest in both fora.
Cheers,
Balapoel
Report Spam   Logged
Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:54 am »

It's uplifting to see familiar names showing up here. I had only been an active member at UC for a few months and, unfortunately, my primary interests are almost all composers who fall under the umbrella of 'dry-as-dust modernism' that the moderators decreed 'justifiably unsung.'

Here's hoping that this forum provides a comfortable home for all of that great music.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 09:05:11 am »

that would include most composers now banned there.

What a peculiar situation, to find composers 'banned'  :-[ It seems unduly heavy-handed? But let's leave the rancour where it originated, rather than transplant it here! :)

I can't speak for the Administration here of course, but our discussions in the past have been wide-ranging, and covered composers of nearly every period. I hope that the arrival of new members, with their own personal enthusiasms and areas of expertise will only serve to broaden such discussions here in future!
Report Spam   Logged
MVS
Level 2

Times thanked: 12

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 01:27:57 pm »

Ahhh!  A new home - with some familiar "faces."   And it looks great! :)
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 02:43:30 pm »

Yes, it almost feels like Unsung Composers with a new colour, people even using the same names. I'm very much an 1830-1960 kind of person, with room for some more recent things too, mostly British music. Good to be here!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 03:23:06 pm »

that would include most composers now banned there.

What a peculiar situation, to find composers 'banned'
Well, just for the record, I've not been "banned" there - or at least not yet - or at least not as far as I know...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: