The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:52:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sallinen 80th on Ondine

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sallinen 80th on Ondine  (Read 215 times)
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2015, 07:38:42 pm »

Among my most beloved of composers, Aulis Sallinen is 80 this year.  Where did the time go?
Ondine will release a DVD of the premiere performance of "King Lear" any day now and in June the complete Chamber Music series (I-VIII) on a two disc set.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:57:57 pm »

Where's a good place to start with Sallinen, tapiola?
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:50:05 pm »

I started with Symphony No.6......

http://www.amazon.com/Sallinen-Sunrise-Serenade-Symphony-No/dp/B000027EAJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430603371&sr=8-1&keywords=sallinen+BIS
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 03:38:55 am »

I'm thrilled to see a disc of Henry Kimball Hadley's symphonic poems. Though of varying interest and originality, in general Hadley has proven to be quite a surprise for me and more impressive each time I hear his music. Decades ago, when I fell in love with Chadwick's music, the only Hadley works generally available were the Second Symphony and the tone poem Salome, neither of which seemed to me at the time to stand up to Chadwick's works such as the Symphonic Sketches.

As time has gone on, however, and as I've had the opportunity to hear more of Hadley's works, I've come to find him rather underrated and genuinely worthy of attention. More of an acquired taste than some of his colleagues, but surprisingly rewarding. Hence, I eagerly await the new disc!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 11:08:09 am »

Interesting post,Latvian! Unfortunately,it seems to be in the wrong thread! No skin off my nose,I might add ;D.....but someone else might mind. Best paste it into the right thread.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: