The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:04:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Glyndebourne Relay: THE FAIRY QUEEN

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glyndebourne Relay: THE FAIRY QUEEN  (Read 465 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2012, 01:01:23 pm »

Jonathan Kent's production of THE FAIRY QUEEN can be seen relayed on The Guardian website

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2012/jul/22/glyndebourne-fairy-queen-act-one-video

(for a limited time only)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest2
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:00:21 pm »

Ah - another one! Thanks. I love all those relays!
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:12:18 pm »

Ah - another one! Thanks. I love all those relays!

I haven't watched it myself yet - the dull business of earning a groat has kept me glued to the screen.  But I hope to find some time tomorrow to have a look at Act One, at least? I have one of those "not enough time to go home really" breaks in my day between a meeting and an audio-book recording, so some noise-isolating earphones and a fast wi-fi connection in a cafe will enable me to put the time to some pleasant end :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 11:13:27 am »

The mysterious american woman with the rasping voice witters on again for the first four minutes of this, so for the sake of one's peace of mind it is advisable to skip that section. The conductor (William Christie) is certainly busy; waving his arms one moment, then sitting down at the keyboard and conducting with his head while playing, then bobbing up again, and so on.

But if I may introduce another negative note, I did not enjoy all that simulated copulation near the end of part one among dozens of persons dressed as rabbits. Is that really in the original? It has the appearance of a piece of jolly fun thought up by some Sloanish female who is as yet only half-way grown up. (This is Glyndebourne remember.) It is unamusing when it starts and its unamusingness only increases as the minutes tick by.

But the music remains fascinating and it is the first time I have experienced it in any sort of context.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 02:22:46 pm »

The American female voice is that of soprano Danielle de Niese (although in fact she is Australian by birth, American by life experience and now British by marriage). In addition to being one of Glyndebourne's in-house stars (she was in all their baroque shows 10 years ago) she is also - more pertinently to her voice-over - now Mrs Christie, the wife of the present Young Lord Of The Manor.

The bunnies are a Glyndebourne in-joke - the fields thereabouts (all part of the vast Christie estate, so thoroughly excoriated in ALBERT HERRING) are full of rabbits, who gambol about to the delight of picnickers in the Long Interval.

I can't say I have yet been very impressed by any of Jonathan Kent's work - but perhaps he has a hat from which a rabbit may yet be pulled.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: