The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:29:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Reviews by Rob Barnett

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviews by Rob Barnett  (Read 369 times)
guest377
« on: April 23, 2015, 04:25:37 am »

I generally like to research a composers works and read what ever I can find about a certain CD before I plunk down some money.  I was somewhat amused by some of  Rob Barnett's reviews...  "sounds like Rachmaninov"  is not really something I'd expect in a review.. don't get me wrong, the MusicWeb is a great source of information, but at times, I think my 5 year old daughter could have written a more insightful review on some of the works.  Just my 2 cents.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 12:26:14 am »

I generally like to research a composers works and read what ever I can find about a certain CD before I plunk down some money.  I was somewhat amused by some of  Rob Barnett's reviews...  "sounds like Rachmaninov"  is not really something I'd expect in a review.. don't get me wrong, the MusicWeb is a great source of information, but at times, I think my 5 year old daughter could have written a more insightful review on some of the works.  Just my 2 cents.
I don't want to be snarkey, but Rob Barnett's reviews have been godsend to me for many years, although he does possess a slight bias for UK composers which is understandable.
Not being a muscian, I know exactly what he means by his verbage. I also read the reviews at Amazon.com(and others) , so how simple minded is that?
Perhaps Barnett simplified the message, so more people would have an interest in our music. "Sounds lke Rachmaninoff" is not unreasonable observation, but he should have seasoned it a bit more for serious collectors unless the statement was taken out of context. Could you please point to he review so we can have a look too?

Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:42:11 am »

Dear Dhibbard
IMHO I'd object that there is an overall use of "recalls RVW" term also for composers outside europe and US.Neverthless i highly appreciate Barnett's site particularly National Discographies and at last also in usually highly reliable Chandos's booklet of Suchon it's said that Sinfonietta Rustica recalls RVW, but in mid 50's, was his music publicized in Slovakia? I know only that in eastern bloc Ernst Hermann Meyer was an admirer.
Best

P.S
A lot of japanese composers really sounds "like Rachmaninov" and under a certain point of wiew also Yellow River Piano Concerto does it
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 11:18:21 pm »

"Sounds like X" can have two different meanings:

1) The work is derivative and copies X's style.

2) The work has its own style but the nearest I can describe it is that has some general similarities to X.

One has to be careful which meaning is intended.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: