The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:30:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Roger Sacheverell Coke, 1912-1972

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roger Sacheverell Coke, 1912-1972  (Read 1733 times)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:42:40 pm »

Members might like to know that Simon Callaghan has recorded Sacheverell Coke's 24 Preludes Op.33 and 34 plus Fifteen Variations and finale Op.37.  The Cd will be released by Somm on May 5th.  There is a promotional video, link given below.  'Coke'  is pronounced Cook! http://simoncallaghan.com/cds/ 

I have just received an advance copy of this CD, courtesy of Simon Callaghan, and I can recommend it unreservedly. The music is highly virtuosic, melodic and individual - and Simon plays it beautifully. I urge members to purchase this disk and listen, if possible to BBC Radio 3's "In Tune" at 16.30 on 8th May when Simon will be interviewed about Roger's music and play some of it live. On 10th May he gives a Lecture Recital of Coke's piano music at the Conway Hall, London at 17.30. On 18th June he gives another Coke recital at London's Steinway Hall.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:41:02 pm »

Thank you for telling us about this,Gareth. I have read some items and posts,about this composer before,including your own. After reading your post I've placed my order with Presto! :) Incidentally,I also placed an order for the recent Cpo cd of Holbrooke's Clarinet Chamber Music. I like his dark,late romantic muse! Looking forward to receiving these from Presto! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:24:50 pm »

I think you will enjoy the clarinet music. It is well played and the Quintet is one of Jo's finest works. Cyrene, by the way, is a transcription of the second movt. of the Saxophone Concerto, which was recorded by Dutton with the ballet "Aucassin & Nicolette" - both lovely works.

I hope you will like Roger Coke's piano music. It is very virtuosic. There is a tape in the British Sound archive of him playing the piano, which I have not heard but which Simon Callaghan has and he tells me it is clear that Coke was a highly accomplished pianist.
Simon plans another disk of his solo piano music. Unfortunately, a huge amount of his work was lost after his death. It is very sad.
I introduced Rupert Marshall-Luck to his 1st Violin Sonata. Rupert edited the MS and performed the work at an English Music Festival concert in Dorchester Abbey, then recorded it for EMF Records. It is an amazing piece.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:29:07 pm by Grandenorm » Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:52:03 pm »

I did enjoy the Holbrooke cd of Clarinet Chamber Music,indeed. Lovely,hauntingly beautiful music. Holbrooke's shadowy,late romantic,sometimes surprisingly astringent creations have a flavour all of their own. This cd has had very little in the way of reviews,for some reason. I suppose it lacks the 'glamour' of a cd of orchestral music;or it just got overlooked.

As to the Somm cd of piano music by Roger Sacheverell Coke. I was wondering about this release. Part of me afraid that this 'English Rachmaninov' might be along the lines of another British composer who has earned this label,which usually isn't very helpful,leading to all kinds of undue expectations and unkind comparisons. His story certainly is a very romantic one. Perhaps not so romantic from the point of view of the composer,who had to endure a good deal of disappointment and mental suffering;but nevertheless the kind of story that would probably make a great screenplay for a movie or script for a tv drama......and indeed,a potentially fascinating biography. As to the music itself! This grabbed me straight-a-way. I can certainly see the Rachmaninov comparison. This music sweeps you along. Full of drama,high flown rhetoric,and where appropriate,poignancy;it often brings to mind some of those old Hollywood melodramas with one of those once famous screen goddesses like Merle Oberon,who seem to be largely forgotten these days;but in a good way. You know,the old storyline with a concert pianist suffering from some trauma,and maybe Charles Boyer or Anton Walbrooke on hand,with some psychoanalysis to assist her? Maybe,(probably!) it lacks the truly indelible melodies of a true master;but I was so pleased by what I heard that I have now ordered the EM cd recording of his ambitious Violin Sonata! Some fantastic photos in the Somm booklet,I might add. A model of it's kind;and the recording itself benefits from the fantastic sound quality that is absolutely essential to a release like this. Oh and magnificent playing! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:14:01 pm »

So glad you enjoyed Roger Coke's music. The Violin Sonata is a later work and is more astringent, and more tortured. It is an extraordinary piece. I hope you find it as moving as I do.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 05:11:31 pm »

In July Simon Callaghan and the BBCSSO under Martyn Brabbins will be recording, for Hyperion, the extant piano concertos of Roger Sacheverell Coke: i.e. Nos 3 & 4 and the slow movt. (which is all that survives) of No. 5. To my mind this is really marvellous news.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 12:08:02 am »

In July Simon Callaghan and the BBCSSO under Martyn Brabbins will be recording, for Hyperion, the extant piano concertos of Roger Sacheverell Coke: i.e. Nos 3 & 4 and the slow movt. (which is all that survives) of No. 5. To my mind this is really marvellous news.

Fantastic news, Gareth!  Many thanks for this. Is it part of the RPC series?

8)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 01:00:38 am »

And to mine,Grandenorm! I have been very impressed by what I have heard so far. This is fantastic news. I think Sacheverell Coke is quite a find,myself. Quite different from Bowen,who I'm always moaning about,as Albion knows! Coke's music is more muscular,has more depth and sinew,imho. The photo of him sitting at the piano in the Em booklet is poignant and rather sad,when you consider what happened. A film is just waiting to be made about his life. What a story!
More Holbrooke would be nice too. I'd love a really good recording of orchestral music from his Cauldron of Annwn cycle,for example. The Marco Polo cd is a favourite,despite it's shortcomings, I think the Dylan Prelude is wonderful. I seem to be in a minority here,but I enjoy it,so who cares! ;D

Can't believe a cd of Coke Piano Concertos is happening so soon! :o
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:24:11 am »

Hi Grandenorm - thanks for sharing this news, it's great to hear.  A lot of people, me included, have been curious to hear his PCs for ages.  If they are being recorded in July, do you know when the release date will be?
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 01:30:44 pm »

I'm afraid I don't know either the release date or whether the recording will be part of the RPC series - though I suspect it will be.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 02:49:57 pm »

As a matter of interest and because the subject has been much discussed here in recent months do you happen to know how Hyperion are funding this recording? The company baulked at recording Erik Chisholm's Violin Concerto and the Coke is even more "obscure".

If that is confidential information then I fully understand.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 08:32:56 pm »

I'm afraid I don't, Dundonell,  but yours is a good question and I shall try to make discreet enquiries.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 10:57:43 am »

Hi - have you heard anything more about this? Is it definitely going ahead? Do you know when the release of the CD (or CDs) will be?
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 12:36:38 pm »

Seems the concertos were recorded this week and release date sometime next year:

https://twitter.com/simondcallaghan?lang=en-gb
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 01:24:13 pm »

This is already on my list as a definite Hyperion pre-order! I have been impressed by what I've heard so far. I have the Somm and Em cds. Fantastic news! I  must admit to not being a York Bowen fan,so I was wondering what Coke's music would be like. All these labels like English Rachmaninov do composers like Coke no favours. You need to take a composer like Coke on his own terms. I find his music has more of a muscular,steely quality than Bowen's. I can't wait to hear what he could do with an orchestra. Will it live up to expectations,I wonder? Some composers are at their best in instrumental and chamber music. For example;I enjoy some of Cyril Scott's orchestral music,very much;but it is his piano music,Piano Quintets,Quartets,Violin Sonatas (and the like) that make the most return visits to my cd player. I think it is in this area that Scott truly excelled. His piano music is particularly fine.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: