The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:04:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Roger Sacheverell Coke, 1912-1972

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roger Sacheverell Coke, 1912-1972  (Read 1751 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 02:07:44 pm »

I finally found the off air recording I made,of the Coke Piano concerto,on my pc. I made a cd-r of this last night,coupling it with a paid download I've had for ages,and not listened to,of the Conifer recording of Bridge's Phantasm. I had an idea it might be a suitable fill-up (albeit the Bridge is a little more than a fill-up!). I had a listen through some of it last night. Alas! It was time for bed!! :( On this hearing,however,I have to say that,this time around,I DID enjoy what I was hearing! Coke's writing reminds me allot of those old Golden age Hollywood melodramas. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way! Hangover Square is one example that springs to mind,where the doomed,frustrated composer continues to perform his concerto even as a fire engulfs the concert hall around him. (The audience,and orchestra,very sensibly,fleeing the inferno around them). If you like slightly ott,no holds barred,late romantic piano concertos,or concertante style works,this strikes me as rather good fun. British Piano concertos tend to be a little staid in this respect (although there are exceptions;Bax's Winter Legends being one example) so something a little more heart on sleeve and unbuttoned,strikes me as a welcome diversion. Perhaps the only vital ingredient missing being that hummable tune that goes around in your head after you finish listening! I understand the Hyperion cd will be released before long. I think this will be a pre-order,as I will now want to hear the remainder!! ;D :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: