The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:51:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Roger Sacheverell Coke, 1912-1972

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roger Sacheverell Coke, 1912-1972  (Read 1754 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2015, 05:52:03 pm »

I did enjoy the Holbrooke cd of Clarinet Chamber Music,indeed. Lovely,hauntingly beautiful music. Holbrooke's shadowy,late romantic,sometimes surprisingly astringent creations have a flavour all of their own. This cd has had very little in the way of reviews,for some reason. I suppose it lacks the 'glamour' of a cd of orchestral music;or it just got overlooked.

As to the Somm cd of piano music by Roger Sacheverell Coke. I was wondering about this release. Part of me afraid that this 'English Rachmaninov' might be along the lines of another British composer who has earned this label,which usually isn't very helpful,leading to all kinds of undue expectations and unkind comparisons. His story certainly is a very romantic one. Perhaps not so romantic from the point of view of the composer,who had to endure a good deal of disappointment and mental suffering;but nevertheless the kind of story that would probably make a great screenplay for a movie or script for a tv drama......and indeed,a potentially fascinating biography. As to the music itself! This grabbed me straight-a-way. I can certainly see the Rachmaninov comparison. This music sweeps you along. Full of drama,high flown rhetoric,and where appropriate,poignancy;it often brings to mind some of those old Hollywood melodramas with one of those once famous screen goddesses like Merle Oberon,who seem to be largely forgotten these days;but in a good way. You know,the old storyline with a concert pianist suffering from some trauma,and maybe Charles Boyer or Anton Walbrooke on hand,with some psychoanalysis to assist her? Maybe,(probably!) it lacks the truly indelible melodies of a true master;but I was so pleased by what I heard that I have now ordered the EM cd recording of his ambitious Violin Sonata! Some fantastic photos in the Somm booklet,I might add. A model of it's kind;and the recording itself benefits from the fantastic sound quality that is absolutely essential to a release like this. Oh and magnificent playing! :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: