The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:36:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Spanish students having a shot at Schönberg

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanish students having a shot at Schönberg  (Read 187 times)
guest54
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:32:41 pm »

Another interesting video from the Spanish Tele-vision (besides the aforementioned Elijah) is this one: a performance of Schönberg's First Chamber Symphony:

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/los-conciertos-de-la-2/conciertos-2-ciclo-da-camera-fundacion-albeniz/1421505/

Upon first reading the description:

"Fundación Albéniz 27 may 2012 Desde el Auditorio Sony de la Fundación Albéniz, concierto a cargo de la Sinfonietta de la Escuela Superior de Música Reina Sofía bajo la dirección de Peter Rundel.Programa: Sinfonía de cámara nº 1 (A. Schonberg)..."

I saw only "Sofia" and assumed that they were a student-group from Bulgaria. But upon closer inspection I realize of course that it refers to Sofia the Queen of the Spaniards and the music-school that now bears Her name.

The main reason why I find the performance interesting is that the players seem somehow to be struggling with the work. There is a certain muddiness is there not, an absence of clear clean flow. And one understands therefore why the composer introduced into his scores those unusual H and N signs, hoping to bring out the significant lines.

And a second problem with this work is that certain of its rhythms tempt people to dash along, when they would do better to sit back, slow down, and savour the beauties of its innovatory harmonies.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: