The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:52:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Alphabetization of music catalog

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alphabetization of music catalog  (Read 607 times)
guest54
« on: April 26, 2015, 06:17:43 am »

. . .  I have particularly questions about how to alphabetize names from countries such as Netherlands, Belgium where many names are preceded by "van" or "de", such as Van Hoof, De Vries, etc. Should the names be "de Raaff, Robin" or "Raaff, Robin de", or "van Hove, Luc", or Hove, Luc van"?

It appears that in German the "von" is included after the given name, such as "Beethoven, Ludwig von" but I am not sure.

In Italian names often have "di" or "de"  or "Della" before what is clearly a patronymic, such as de Assis, di Vittoria, etc., so would the entry be "de Assis, Paulo" or "Assis, Paulo de" etc.

In Spanish I know that most names list after the given name a patronymic and then a matronymic, such as Anton García Abril, which I would put as "Garcia Abril, Antón". But what about Luis de Pablo, do I put him in the "D's" or the "P's"?

I am not sure about Portuguese/Brazilian names that sometimes seem to contain two surnames, such as Paulo Costa Lima--"Costa Lima, Paulo"? or Lima, Paulo Costa.

And most perplexing may be British names, where Vaughan Williams is in the "V's, but is H. Balfour Gardiner in the "B's" or the "G's"? . . .

You could do what Grove's Dictionary does, and have two (or even more) separate entries:

"D'Indy, Vincent: See Indy, Vincent d' "

and

"Indy, Vincent d' . . . " with full details.

But Grove's is not consistent in its choice of which one - the one starting with de or the one not - will be the major entry.

Hart's Rules for Compositors has a long section about French, but oddly enough it doesn't tackle this question.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: