The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:45:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

the former classicsonline

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the former classicsonline  (Read 377 times)
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2015, 01:54:51 am »

Not sure where to post this, but anyway....

My favourite download site was www.classicsonline.com run by Naxos. It was my favourite because it was the most reasonably priced download service for someone in Australia. For example a Naxos CD cost $6.99 (US) to download, most other CDs were $9.99 (US). Compare this to Prestoclassical where the avergae album is $12.95 (US) and iTunes ($16.00 (US)).

Well it has closed down and been replaced with a new site HDclassics or some such offering streaming and downloading services. They assure the user you can still download MP3s, so I tried to only to discover the price had gone up to $10.99 for a Naxos Disk, $12.95 for other albums. I wrote to them and asked what had ahppeend to the MP3s and they wrote back saying we are offering you a better service, all formats the same price, streaming service, keep it in your cloud &c.

I replied that if they had halved their prices they would be offering me a better service, but to increase them by 50% can hardly be described as offering better service.  >:(

Anyway, just wanted to let people know what had happened in case they used the old classicsonline site. Perhaps if all classicsonline users write in an threatne to boyott the new site we can make Naxos reverse the price increase.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 04:20:44 pm »

I must say I have been very impressed by Presto's packaging of my last two cd orders ie Brian The Tigers Testament and the Supraphon Martinu/Neumann set (with the wierd head on the front). Excellent hard,protective cardboard boxes. Very secure! Excellent! Better than average!!
Just thought I'd mention it! :)
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:48:31 am »

I get all my physical CDs from Presto, I think they're very good. Probably be getting all my downloads from there too now.
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:45:08 pm »

The new site sucks.  I gave up trying to find new releases, which was easy on the old site and all that I'm generally interested in.  Goodbye Classics Online......

OF
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: