The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:09:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Yurovsky Symphony No.5 UK Premiere

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yurovsky Symphony No.5 UK Premiere  (Read 1288 times)
Leea25
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2015, 06:33:39 pm »

Hi All,

I am very excited to announce that I will be conducting the UK Premiere of Vladimir Yurovsky's Symphony No.5 Op.79 on Sunday 21 June, 7pm, with Central England Ensemble at Carr's Lane Church in central Birmingham. The programme will also include Andrew Downes's Five Pieces for Piano and Strings Op.10, with very fine pianist Duncan Honeybourne, and Glinka's Ruslan and Ludmilla Overture.

Thanks,
Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 07:47:10 pm »

Symphony no 5 or symphony no 1?  There seems to be some confusion.  Either way, of course, a commendable effort.  I hope somebody records it... ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Leea25
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:37:07 pm »

Very definately Symphony No.5 - I have the score on the desk next to me :)

Thanks,
Lee
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 02:24:52 am »

Right. The notice on the CEE website (an ensemble of which I had no previous knowledge) said the first.  Hence my request for clarification.  But as I said, either is a worthy enterprise.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 01:49:16 pm »

Or at least it did make reference to Jurowski's first...I think...or did I imagine the whole thing?   :-[
Report Spam   Logged
Leea25
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 10:44:29 pm »

Hi Brian,

No, you didn't imagine it! When you queried the number, I went hunting and found the reference on their website, and pointed out the error - it's now all sorted! :)

CEE are an amateur orchestra, but a good one, so it should be a great concert!

Lee
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 05:19:40 pm »

This is the symphony which CPO has recorded with the composer's grandson conducting in Berlin and which will shortly be released in the UK.
Report Spam   Logged
Leea25
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:09:11 pm »

That is very good to hear, Colin - I have the radio broadcast posted hear, but much detail is obscured, particularly at the end once the organ comes in. It'll be wonderful to have a really good and crisp recording of it!
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 08:41:57 am »

This is the symphony which CPO has recorded with the composer's grandson conducting in Berlin and which will shortly be released in the UK.

Just as a slight correction: the CPO recording comes with the composer's son (Michail Jurowski) conducting the Norrköping Symphony Orchestra. On that disc, the Fifth Symphony is coupled with Yurovsky's Symphonic Suite "Russian Painters".
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 02:02:16 pm »

I do not know how I got it into my head that it was the grandson who was conducting a German orchestra in the symphony ::)

I do remember half-thinking that it was rather odd that CPO had managed to get such a "catch" as the Principal Conductor of the London Philharmonic Orchestra for the recording. It makes more sense that it is in fact the composer's son.

My apologies for the incorrect information :-[
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 03:40:10 pm »

the Principal Conductor of the London Philharmonic Orchestra for the recording.

At the risk of appearing unendurably nit-picking  :), it's worth remembering that Vladimir Jurowsky (son of Mikhail Jurowsky) spent his youth in Germany, where his Soviet-emigré father was working (and, ehem, still does). He has dual Russian/German nationality, and thus he spells his surname German-fashion "Jurowsky" - as it appears in his German passport.

This makes a little easier to tell him from his family namesake (his grandfather) - the spelling of whose surname is less 'mandatory' when using the Latin alphabet :)

There is a whole musical dynasty of Yurovsky/Jurowskys (including Vladimir Jurowsky's brother Dmitry, conductor of the Russian Philharmonia and the Antwerp Opera) - so it's hardly surprising that confusion arises sometimes!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 06:45:05 pm »

No..you are absolutely right to point all this out. Clarification should avoid confusion :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: