The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 17, 2024, 12:30:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Erik Chisholm's Violin Concerto - Glasgow performance and BBC broadcast

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Erik Chisholm's Violin Concerto - Glasgow performance and BBC broadcast  (Read 1777 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 06:07:52 pm »

If I recall what was said by John Purser in his biography on Chisholm, he referred to the final as 'too clever by half' and thought it was sensible that it was dropped and that Chisholm must have approved the move.

I really do not understand that in the least. Purser cannot have adequately imagined the effect of the movement from reading the score.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 11:26:54 am »

The Chisholm Trust informs me that the BBC will broadcast the Chisholm Violin Concerto in the first week of June  ;D

A definitive date is awaited.

I will be abroad then so, hopefully, someone else will be able to record it and upload it  :)

If I hear anything more specific about a date I will post it  :D

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 09:07:20 am »

The exact date is unimportant, as it will be available for listening for the following 28 days.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 08:14:22 pm »

The exact date is unimportant, as it will be available for listening for the following 28 days.

Thanks for this reminder.  :) I will be back home well within the 28 day period and intend to record it. ;D
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 02:02:07 am »

News of Broadcast date from the Chisholm Trust:

Hi

The Violin Concerto will be broadcast on Radio 3,  2nd June starting at 2pm. The piece is listed as no. 2 so should start around 2.25.

There are a couple of reviews on the website http://erikchisholm.com/news/category/news-and-events/

Regards
Tony
Webmaster.
;D :D :)

I am abroad so would be unable to record it and upload it to forum until I return.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 06:40:32 am »

Fingers crossed!!
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 05:45:09 am »

What an interesting and substantial piece!  :D

Yesterday's broadcast was accessible live in the Philippines as was the listen again function via the BBC iPlayer (perhaps because the BBC has my email address as a license payer?) enabling an initial live recording and then a better - good quality - second recording of the 4 movements separately which I've now listened to several times on my iPod.  ;D

As predicted - in terms of my reaction - first impression of broadcast was the Concerto is not immediately memorable thematically but contains much material that encourages one to listen again.  After repeated hearings my overall impression is that this is an impressive Concerto - virtuoso violin writing and fascinating orchestral textures. First and third movements based on Indian ragas and aspects of the work similar to Chisholm's Second 'Hindustani' Piano Concerto which is also partly based on Ragas.

Very little information on the Concerto, for example no information on the four movements, is provided by the radio announcer.  However, information is provided elsewhere on this post.

The Concerto is likely to have limited appeal but I look forward to listening to it many times until I am well acquainted with it.  Catch up with it for the next 4 weeks on iPlayer.   ::)

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 08:56:17 pm »

I have a recording (not processed yet) which I can post.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 11:41:54 pm »

I have a recording (not processed yet) which I can post.
please do!!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 11:25:09 am »

Now posted.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: