The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:41:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Truly Bizarre behavior at Unsung Composers

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truly Bizarre behavior at Unsung Composers  (Read 6858 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 08:36:48 pm »

Who cares if Raff was a genius or not,those Tudor cds look far too pretty for the charity shop! ;D

Spoken like a true eclectic after my own heart. I reckon that CPO could come up with some pretty covers for a Cipriani Potter symphony cycle...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 10:42:16 pm »

Who cares if Raff was a genius or not,those Tudor cds look far too pretty for the charity shop! ;D

Spoken like a true eclectic after my own heart. I reckon that CPO could come up with some pretty covers for a Cipriani Potter symphony cycle...

;D

My own musical centre of gravity is probably more around Mahler-Sibelius than Raff et al, but let me tell you, I would happily shell out good money for a good (or even adequate) Potter symphony cycle.   ;D

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 06:44:32 pm »

What is mildly amusing about UC is their completely inconsistent approach to what is "romantic" music, such that some composers that definitely do fit that label they reject, and others who don't, they accept. Their stated "definition" is a joke. The REAL definition that applies over there is "music by composers the moderators like". The moderators also confuse neo-romanticism and late romanticism. Being dogmatic and right is one thing, but dogmatic and wrong is just annoying.

Besides, how can you properly discuss music with such taboos in place? I toyed with the idea of setting up a forum to discuss thargist music. This is very easy to define precisely. Thargist music is anything that (a) is not in D minor, and (b) doesn't have trombones in it. People would only be allowed to discuss music that met these criteria! Half the posts would be complaints that someone dared to mention a work in which the third movement trio is actually in D minor.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 09:48:50 pm »

Ha   funny..
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 10:36:34 am »

Yes,very funny indeed. I think I'll join. It'll be even more fun when every single thread is locked!! ??? ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 07:03:07 pm »

;D
. I only see one CD available on Amazon. Would like to see the cycle.
Report Spam   Logged
BigEdLB
Level 2

Times thanked: 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 09:15:40 am »

What is mildly amusing about UC is their completely inconsistent approach to what is "romantic" music, such that some composers that definitely do fit that label they reject, and others who don't, they accept. Their stated "definition" is a joke. The REAL definition that applies over there is "music by composers the moderators like". The moderators also confuse neo-romanticism and late romanticism. Being dogmatic and right is one thing, but dogmatic and wrong is just annoying.

Besides, how can you properly discuss music with such taboos in place? I toyed with the idea of setting up a forum to discuss thargist music. This is very easy to define precisely. Thargist music is anything that (a) is not in D minor, and (b) doesn't have trombones in it. People would only be allowed to discuss music that met these criteria! Half the posts would be complaints that someone dared to mention a work in which the third movement trio is actually in D minor.

I think I may have you all beat in terms of an experience at Unsung Composers.  A user named semiloh started a thread about me on  UC.  I am a composer.  And this Howe character absolutely went nuts.  Even if I tried to post within the scope of what "Emperor Alan" supposedly said the scope was I got nothing but rude and condescending remarks.  Know nothing about Howe but suspect that he may be typical of that ilk.  A person with a musical degree and no talent to compose.  I have almost no formal training, so I annoy people like Howe .  Will be happy to share where my music can be heard if anyone is curious
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 03:40:03 pm »

Thanks BigEd... I will give it a listen this weekend.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 06:21:21 pm »

I think I may have you all beat in terms of an experience at Unsung Composers.  A user named semiloh started a thread about me on  UC.  I am a composer.  And this Howe character absolutely went nuts.  Even if I tried to post within the scope of what "Emperor Alan" supposedly said the scope was I got nothing but rude and condescending remarks.  Know nothing about Howe but suspect that he may be typical of that ilk.  A person with a musical degree and no talent to compose.  I have almost no formal training, so I annoy people like Howe .  Will be happy to share where my music can be heard if anyone is curious

I think I heard that he is a school teacher. I very much doubt that he has a musical degree. His technical knowledge seems rather limited.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 07:04:50 pm »

I found the website absolutely horrible. I was quickly banned for telling Alan what I thought of him. . . . Sad the wonderful music is so poorly represented by this person.  But, it's his own little world.
I believe the Unsung Composers Forum originated as a Raff forum (or Message Board?) or as an offshoot from the Raff website? The Raff site is run by the same people who operate and moderate the 'Unsung Composers' forum;and they have also published some books relating to that composer. It seems a great pity,in a way,that such an undoubtedly talented composer,who (whatever your view of his ultimate place in the musical heirachy) can undoubtedly provide allot of listening pleasure for music lovers,is represented by such people!
Report Spam   Logged
BigEdLB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2017, 07:14:45 pm »

I think I heard that he is a school teacher. I very much doubt that he has a musical degree. His technical knowledge seems rather limited.

May God help his students  :P
Report Spam   Logged
BigEdLB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2017, 08:51:10 pm »

The Thread about me on Unsung Composers
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2017, 09:03:11 pm »

I don't go there anymore... when Mr Howe deleted my posts.... why bother... not going to play that childish game.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2017, 09:13:39 pm »

Mr Ed.. we won't censor your posts... someone should start another Unsung Composers Ver2  oh.. it is here!!   welcome to this forum !!.... 
Report Spam   Logged
BigEdLB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2017, 09:18:46 pm »

Thank you
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: