The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:57:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Truly Bizarre behavior at Unsung Composers

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truly Bizarre behavior at Unsung Composers  (Read 6856 times)
Balapoel
Level 2

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 06:15:46 pm »

Yeah, I agree. I've said my peace - and I'm glad I'm here. Enough from me.
Cheers,
Balapoel
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 09:06:09 pm »

Briefly, I got totally f*cked off and left them to it because I resented

a. being told that composers I was interested in were worthless;

b. being told that anybody who hadn't written a "masterpiece" was not worth investigating;

c. being treated as a disobedient schoolboy for arguing otherwise.

What a bunch of w*nkers.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:33 pm »

;D Great stuff!
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 11:06:12 am »

What a bunch of w*nkers.

Nice way of putting it.  :D
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 06:31:27 pm »

What a bunch of w*nkers.

Lol, don't think much has changed. Bloody dry-as-dust...  ;D

I fear there'll be no reprieve for Poor Old Gadsby.  ::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest224
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 10:33:12 pm »

What a bunch of w*nkers.

Lol, don't think much has changed. Bloody dry-as-dust...  ;D

I fear there'll be no reprieve for Poor Old Gadsby.  ::)

Yes - BUT - there is discussion there too, even if the comments are somewhat snide at times.  Here it can sometimes be all too silent.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 06:15:37 pm »

What provoked the necro-posting? Something new happen?
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 11:31:52 pm »

oh...at least no one gets banned or has their thread "locked"....not that it happens from time to time...  sure do miss the Tower Records days when one could stop in during the lunch break and chat with fellow classical listeners about the new releases.. oh well.  :(
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 02:41:01 am »

"necro-posting" - best new word I've ever gotten from this site.   ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 04:36:16 am »

"necro-posting" - best new word I've ever gotten from this site.   ;D

think that means come back from the dead monthly and post something...??
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 06:28:20 am »

Bet they still have my catalogues on their b****y site!! I am on holiday (in New Zealand, did I mention that?) so I won't bother getting cross.......again
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 07:01:06 am »

I was rebuked by one of the moderators when I dared to mention Holmboe there. Holmboe!  :o
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest377
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 03:21:56 pm »

I mentioned Langgaard  and was promptly yelled at... even tho he is "late romantic"  ... they said he was 20th century.... didn't fit in nicely with their already decided definition of what is romantic era....:(
Report Spam   Logged
Balapoel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 04:06:47 pm »

For what it's worth, I asked them to remove my contributions, including a number of catalogues as well - they didn't do it... I'm well past it - this is a much better forum, in all respects.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »

I found the website absolutely horrible. I was quickly banned for telling Alan what I thought of him. . . . Sad the wonderful music is so poorly represented by this person.  But, it's his own little world.
A pity,indeed! I do like allot of the music they discuss there. I even like Raff. At best a very accomplished and talented composer. Also,one of those interesting puzzles. What happened? Why the decline in his reputation? Is it deserved? I can understand why some people would find him interesting. Spohr is another example. I find his music very satisfying. Draeseke,who I have yet to hear,is often discussed there. He sounds intriguing. The recently released boxed set from Cpo is tempting. His third symphony was widely performed. Some people seem to think he's a neglected master. Some don't!! And then there is Rubinstein. I eventually collected all six symphonies and spent allot of time mulling over them. A great pianist,a mediocre composer? Intriguing,yes? Unfortunately,I eventually came to the conclusion that while he obviously had a facility for colourful,engaging scoring,he didn't really have allot to say! I still quite like his Second and Fourth symphonies,though. And the symphonies I collected are all on my hard drive,for the purpose of future reference. If a label like Cpo ever give a Rubinstein symphony the kind of recording that Raff and Spohr have been treated to recently,I may even have another go?!! The recordings on Russian Disc and Marco are pretty awful. I seem to recall that a long deleted recording of the 'Ocean' symphony on the Turnabout label (never released on cd) was preferable to anything currently available! Look at the Spohr symphonies,for example. I collected all the Marco Polo recordings. They have been superseded by the cycles on Hyperion and Cpo. I personally found the Cpo recordings a revelation.....but in all fairness,the Marco Polo performances were competent. In fact,if the recording quality was better I would actually prefer them to the Hyperion cycle! Likewise Raff was represented by some decent recordings,prior to the superb Tudor cycle. And while the Raff Tudor cycle hasn't been the revelation that the Cpo Spohr cycle was......the quality of the performances has finally convinced me that Raff 1 is actually (although a little uneven) one of his most worthwhile and interesting symphonies,and Raff 2 and 6 are actually worth my attention.
I still don't think he's as good as the UC Forum say he is,though!! ;D
They also discuss other intriguing figures like Franz Lachner. His Fifth symphony is massive and has been described by some as a sort of 'missing link'! But I seem to recall reading that George Lloyd was outside their 'remit'?!! Wow!! ???
So,lot's of interesting music being discussed there and food for thought for people who are interested in that kind of repertoire. But I'd rather post here or at the GMG!! Maybe I should start a 'Romantic Composers Forum?!! Everyone would know what sort of music they were supposed to discuss!

That said,I have recently been absolutely and completely 'blown away' (as they say) by the music of Roussel and Honneger!!
Of course,it's aso possible that I only keep all nine of my complete Tudor Raff symphony cycle cds,because the jewel case look so great with those Arnold Böcklin paintings on the front. The whole design of those cds is so eye catching imo. Better than the music inside,perhaps?!! ;D ;D Seriously,I do like some of his symphonies. At his best his music is colourfully orchestrated and genuinely imaginative. He's just not the genius they try and make him out to be,over there. Spohr's better,anyway!! :o ;D

I don't understand why they would ban Dundonnell,though?!! One of the most polite,diplomatic people I have ever met on any online forum (or message board). And that dry sense of humour. When you think of some of the characters you 'bump into' online? The internet equivalent of that chap who thinks you're staring at him in the pub!! :o

And there I am using that word genius again! ::) Who cares if Raff was a genius or not,those Tudor cds look far too pretty for the charity shop! ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: