The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:06:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

I'm back!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 3031 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 01:19:27 pm »

They are allowed, but in moderation, because he is certainly not "unsung" is he.

That's odd, because I have been a member of this forum since its inception, and it has never been the Unsung Composers Forum (although fans of Unsung Composers are certainly welcome here, alongside others).

When I scroll to the top of the page, it clearly says The Art-Music Forum in large, bold lettering. It furthermore tells us that the forum enables discussion of
all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight
. There is nothing about Shostakovich, Unsung Composers, or any other specific composers.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 01:55:33 pm »

They are allowed, but in moderation, because he is certainly not "unsung" is he.

That's odd, because I have been a member of this forum since its inception, and it has never been the Unsung Composers Forum (although fans of Unsung Composers are certainly welcome here, alongside others).

When I scroll to the top of the page, it clearly says The Art-Music Forum in large, bold lettering. It furthermore tells us that the forum enables discussion of
all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight
. There is nothing about Shostakovich, Unsung Composers, or any other specific composers.
Exactly; indeed, the same thought occurred to me when I noted with surprise the reference to "unsung" in this forum...
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 04:24:41 pm »

I didn't see anything about that posts about Shostakovich were not allowed??!?

They are allowed, but in moderation, because he is certainly not "unsung" is he. What are not allowed are copyright recordings of performances of his works. Personally I cannot abide any of his wearisome stuff, but that is beside the point.

Yes.. sometimes his symphonies remind me of sour milk.....and some of Prokofiev.. the same...   story about Glazunov walking out of a Prokofiev symphony performance shaking his head back and worth.. muttering "what the hell have we created".....
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 05:16:19 pm »

Threads can veer off topic to a quite extraordinary extent and I am guilty of going off on a tangent as any but extremely negative comment on the merits or demerits of the music of Shostakovich seem singularly ill-placed here
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 05:16:26 pm »

I didn't see anything about that posts about Shostakovich were not allowed??!?
They are allowed, but in moderation, because he is certainly not "unsung" is he. What are not allowed are copyright recordings of performances of his works. Personally I cannot abide any of his wearisome stuff, but that is beside the point.
Yes.. sometimes his symphonies remind me of sour milk.....and some of Prokofiev.. the same...   story about Glazunov walking out of a Prokofiev symphony performance shaking his head back and worth.. muttering "what the hell have we created".....
There's a great deal more to Shostakovich than just his symphonies, wonderful as most of those are and none of which remind me of any kind of milk, but each to their own, I guess. It's interesting how people's tastes can change, though, even without obvious reason; Sorabji wrote some of the most barbed criticisms of Shostakovich in the 1940s and occasionally also before and after that decade, yet in the 1970s he persuaded himself to listen to a number of his works including the first violin concerto and fourth, tenth and thirteenth symphonies and was so impressed by them that he confessed to Ronald Stevenson that anyone who could not appreciate Shostakovich as a Master would be inept. He must have remembered some of what he'd written about him way back when because he expressed to me his concern as to whether Shostakovich might ever have read or been told about any of it; despite assuring him that I thought this most unlikely, he felt moved to draft a letter of apology to Shostakovich but it was never sent because this was in August 1975...
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:37 pm »

Hey, he's gone again. >:(

Or is it just that we shouldn't expect the 5-10 daily posts we were formerly used to? :D
By the way,I'm back,too! Some of you,with very short memories,may remember me from my last post on September 10th,before I mysteriously disappeared for the last two days,leading to absolutely no debate as to my personal welfare or whereabouts,let alone a "Where's that blighter,Cilgwyn got to?",thread!
I'm now going to mysteriously disappear and reappear again..........possibly,in a couple of hours time....months,days or years?!! (Haven't decided yet!) I may return with a new "nickname"If you see a new member posting here under the name of Houdini,it could be me? Alternatively,it could be that the great man has finally brought off his greatest ever trick?! If you see two new members posting under the name of Houdini,that could be awkward!! :( ::)
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 08:20:16 pm »

Thanks cilgwyn, some reality--are we done with this celebration yet?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: