The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:28:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sorabji: 100 Transcendental studies for piano, Vol. IV

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorabji: 100 Transcendental studies for piano, Vol. IV  (Read 402 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:23:53 pm »

This spectacular recording by the formidable Swedish pianist Fredrik Ullén is now out, on the BIS label, catalogue number 1853.

The first three have been released over the past few years to widespread critical acclaim and there are (I believe) two more CDs yet to be made to complete this monumental project.

A must for the shopping list!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:19:19 am »

I was rather put off by reading a review of one of the earlier volumes that suggested that the performance was rather approximate as regards the score. What's your opinion?
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:07:10 pm »

I was rather put off by reading a review of one of the earlier volumes that suggested that the performance was rather approximate as regards the score. What's your opinion?
That the reviewer (whoever he or she might be) doesn't know of what he or she speaks (or rather writes) and almost certainly does not possess a copy of either the composer's autograph ms. of the typeset edition from which Mr Ullén has prepared his performances and recordings of these pieces; who was it that suggested this and where? (and if you'd prefer not to disclose that here, please by all means send me a PM or an email directly to sorabji-archive@lineone.net). I'm not suggeting that the entire series so far is 100% note-perfect (what performances of challenging Sorabji works would ever stand a chance of being quite that?!), but Mr. Ullén's achievement with Sorabji's work is nonetheless remarkable beyond question.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:11:09 pm »

It was too long ago - I cannot remember where or when, or which volume it was. I'm happy to take your recommendation.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:33:58 pm »

It was too long ago - I cannot remember where or when, or which volume it was. I'm happy to take your recommendation.
Thank you very much - then go for it and enjoy!...
Report Spam   Logged
Dimana
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 06:25:05 pm »

As far as I am concerned, the first three volumes have been at the very top end of Sorabji discs, so I would have no hesitation in recommending those and the fourth disc on that basis.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: