The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:33:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Malcolm Lipkin's Symphonies from Lyrita! (and the Bliss "Beatitudes" !)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malcolm Lipkin's Symphonies from Lyrita! (and the Bliss "Beatitudes" !)  (Read 266 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:32:54 pm »

When we heard the exciting news that Lyrita was commencing the release of the late Richard Itter's collection of recordings made from BBC broadcasts there was some speculation about possible treasures coming our way. The first two releases were of music by Matyas Seiber and of a collection of (relatively) well-known British concertos.

Now the second pair of releases is advertised :)

http://www.wyastone.co.uk/malcolm-lipkin-symphonies-nos-1-3.html

The complete Malcolm Lipkin symphonies :) :)

Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3 were generously made available in recordings made by members but now we shall have all three on cd, no doubt in excellent recordings (Itter was an expert at making off-air recordings), including Symphony No.1 "Sinfonia di Roma". Lipkin is one of the most unjustly neglected of British composers and it is wonderful that-at 83 this year-the composer will be able to receive this exposure at last. I am delighted for him :)

.....and the other new release is of Sir Arthur Bliss's Cantata "The Beatitudes" in the recording of the BBC Proms performance from 1964 conducted by the composer.

http://www.wyastone.co.uk/sir-arthur-bliss-beatitudes.html

For lovers of neglected British Music this is fantastic news ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest251
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:45:18 am »

Great news and thanks, Colin, for the heads up. I have ordered them both and they are on their way!  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 10:49:27 am »

A very promising start to an exciting project! I have removed the copies of The Beatitudes and Lipkin's 2nd and 3rd symphonies from the broadcast archive and will remove further items if, as and when they are commercially released.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 04:24:40 pm »

The two new Lyrita cds have just arrived :)

To have a cd in my hands with all three Lipkin cds is so exciting ;D

....and future prospects ??? Is it just possible that s substantial number of those British symphonies about which I have been chuntering on about for the last five years plus on this and other music forums are in the pipeline ??? If they were broadcast then the chances that Rchard Itter recorded them must be very high. The recording equipment he used was of exceptional quality. If they are therefore in his collection then very hopefully they will make it to cd..............at last!!

Can dreams come true ??? :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
dancingbear
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:47:53 pm »

I suspect you are right!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 05:22:53 pm »

I would be very surprised if we don't see more Fricker, Cooke, Jones, Hoddinott, Williams, Wordsworth, etc. from this source: reminiscent of the short-lived Carlton Classics label in the 1990s only with a more specifically British remit of broadcast material. Great!

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: