The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:18:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Who are the finest pianists of today's generation?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the finest pianists of today's generation?  (Read 1013 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:37:35 am »

But for me the question is never "Who is the finest pianoist?" but rather "Which pianoist is least inaccurate?" In a perfect world every performance would be perfect and all pianoists equal. Whoever first introduced the concept of "interpretation" has a lot to answer for. In reality the interest lies always in how the composer's intentions emerge DESPITE the pianoist.
So "pianoist" is the latest Grewist invention, I see? Anyway, no one ever "introduced" the idea of interpretation but your "perfect world" is not one that makes sense to the composer who knows as well as anyone that there's never a single "right" way of performing anything; composers revise their ideas both during and after writing works and they are amenable to different ways of going about them (within reason, of course) just as their ideas about them change over time. Speaking personally, I've occasionally found a performer who really understands well what I'm up to who suggests the odd minor amendment in order to make it sound even more like what I wnat that what I'd written does - and that is always a most gratifying experience.

Decades ago I had the privilege of attending a Scryabine recital in Hong Kong by Shura Cherkassky which has remained in the memory; several late sonatas. Afterwards I was able to discuss their wonders with the local population.
Cherkassky's performances were almost always memorable; at his very best, they were models of hyper-control and technical near-perfection but at the same time brimming with so rare an electrifying spontaneity that the listener could be forgiven for thinking that he'd just written all the music himself; I even remember him turning out a Liszt Second Hungarian Rhapsody that simply danced its way off the concert platform and sounded as though the ink was still wet on the page and gave the impression that one had never previousy heard the piece, which is quite an achievement in itself. He seemed to be a rather strange man who had remarkably little in his life besides the piano, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was one of the finest pianists of his generation.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: