The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:02:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Duttons for May/June

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duttons for May/June  (Read 3002 times)
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 01:19:00 pm »

Oh ye of little faith.  :D
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »

The British releases are all right, but, apart from the Milford, all easy available in other versions. Nothing as exciting as the recent Brian/Howells releases or the Bate when that comes.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 03:01:08 pm »

True, true.......... ;D

I do enjoy it though when my natural pessimism is proved unfounded ;D ;D

I do certainly know about the Dutton plans to record the Havergal Brian 2nd and 14th symphonies. That will be an exciting release :) The Marco Polo 2nd from the Moscow Symphony Orchestra was underwhelming and a proper rendering will be eagerly anticipated. And I have always had a soft spot for the 14th.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 03:02:29 pm »

The British releases are all right, but, apart from the Milford, all easy available in other versions. Nothing as exciting as the recent Brian/Howells releases or the Bate when that comes.

Indeed.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 04:46:13 pm »

True, true.......... ;D

I do enjoy it though when my natural pessimism is proved unfounded ;D ;D

I do certainly know about the Dutton plans to record the Havergal Brian 2nd and 14th symphonies. That will be an exciting release :) The Marco Polo 2nd from the Moscow Symphony Orchestra was underwhelming and a proper rendering will be eagerly anticipated. And I have always had a soft spot for the 14th.
"Underwhelming" has to be the understatement of the year! And ruining one of my favourite Brian symphonies.......the rotters!! >:( ;D
(I knew about that one too,incidentally! ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 06:54:36 pm »

Not that they have actually ruined it....the music is still there to listen to,via the files here (and the cdr's I made of them! :)) Thank you to all concerned!
Henry Hadley?! I have enjoyed what I have heard. I hope it's a symphony! I wish Dutton would do some Arthur Farwell too. The Gods of the Mountain-Suite on the 3cd Bridge set was a real find,at least for me,with it's chilling finale,"The Stone Gods Come!" I find it quite eerie. It makes me want to hear some more of his output!
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 07:33:41 pm »

No Hadley symphony but numerous unrecorded works.
Why the Vaughan Williams?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 09:01:19 pm »

Thank you.tapiola. That will still be interesting.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 12:33:01 am »

No Hadley symphony but numerous unrecorded works.
Why the Vaughan Williams?

Why the Britten and Delius Violin Concertos ??? ???

There are, roughly, 20 recordings of the Britten and about 8 recordings of the Delius already on cd. Nothing wrong with adding fresh interpretations but that is not something which Dutton previously engaged in.

I suspect that it boils down to finance.
Report Spam   Logged
Bosque Bill
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 04:25:41 am »

As one of the few around here passionately interested in American music, I can say I'm happy to see Dutton's interest in that vein continues. While Hadley's music has long struck me as undistinguished romanticism (though expertly crafted), the John Carpenter disc holds great promise. "Krazy Kat" is a hoot, typical of the composer at his best. While I'd rather see a second disc of Frederick Converse -- the tone poem "California," his "Scarecrow Sketches" and one of the late symphonies -- the Carpenter will serve very nicely. And, heck, I may even try out the Hadley. Thanks for the heads-up.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 02:19:43 pm »

Frankly i'd prefer that Dutton would focus on British music.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 01:06:47 pm »

So would I! That's one of the things that made Lyrita such a great label. They had a focus.
After reading Bosque Bill's post,I thought I'd have another listen to Henry Hadley. I have enjoyed his music as part of the wonderful 3cd Bridge set,and I did wonder if I would enjoy it this time around. Well,imho (as they say) while there is nothing extraordinary about this music,it is highly enjoyable. Maybe the ideas could be a little more memorable,but this is a fun late romantic style wallow. The only problem I have with it really is the recording. This kind of music really does need lush strings and a sumptuous recording quality,which you don't get on these ancient old recordings. Some of the other composers on the set seem to come off better. Not bad recordings,just a little on the dry side,to my ears,and you need those sweeping strings! That said,I agree that there are other American composers from that period that are more individual. 
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 01:16:56 pm »

Many people inside Dutton feel as we do about British music. Tony Dutton wants to branch out somewhat and it's his company. There are still many Brit goodies in store!
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 10:03:31 pm »

If Dutton wants to branch out towards the client colonies, I think with the right conductor and ensemble he would score a home run with the two Arthur Shepherd symphonies (plus the Overture to a Drama).
Report Spam   Logged
Bosque Bill
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 03:57:26 pm »

Terrific idea about the Shepherd symphonies. I've heard that poor Lois Lane recording (sonically, not performance-wise) of the first symphony, "Horizons," and it's way overdue for a modern recording. Seems Shepherd really had something to say. Don't know anything about the second. I'm surprised the Mormons haven't stepped forward to do something to rectify matters, given his strong connections there.

Ultimately, so much of it comes down to funding. If a grant or gift can be made available to defray even just some of the costs, recording companies are more likely to consider a project. I remember writing to members of Ernst Bacon's family about their nonprofit, which funded musical performances of his very fine works. I suggested they use some of the funds to instead leverage a recording of his music to better cement and spread his legacy. Never heard back from them. This was just after Naxos did an excellent recording of his "Ford's Theater." Oh, well.

I've made it known to a few close acquaintances in the recording industry that if they ever attempt recordings of specific American works, I'd like to help out with a small grant or gift of, say, $5,000 or so. Even just that seems to get some attention, more so than if I'd come forward with nothing at all. And helping out with the notes and research (including, yes, tracking down manuscripts) helps, too.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: